Large Swamp Cypress - Taxodium Distichum

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This pic is of a Swampy grown by a fellow Australian and I have loved this tree from the minute I first saw it, and I am basing the style of my monster on this fine specimen.
View attachment 29199

I have always loved G. Bowies trees. I wish he would post here again.
Tell him that his tree is phenomenal!

johng

Omono
Reaction score
.?

There must be some mistake here...this tree was created by guy Guidry and currently lives in the pacific rim bonsai collection??
http://www.helpfulgardener.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=32122. Scroll to the 5th or 6th post by Victrinia

just curious as this tree has also served as inspiration for my work with cypress.
john

Thanks Mach5.... The branches will all eventually be angled down quite acutely which will add drama and age to the tree. this will be a gradual process, but as you can see in the last photo, the comparison shot of the angle of the bottom 2 branches when freshly dug, to the recent pic on the left, where I have ropes and turnbuckles in action. Swamp Cypress branches are quite flexible so it will happen. All new branches are being wired down as they grow. Just have their tips facing upward to keep early vigour in them.
This pic is of a Swampy grown by a fellow Australian and I have loved this tree from the minute I first saw it, and I am basing the style of my monster on this fine specimen.
View attachment 29199

Last edited:

shane martin

Seedling
Reaction score
There must be some mistake here...this tree was created by guy Guidry and currently lives in the pacific rim bonsai collection??
http://www.helpfulgardener.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=32122. Scroll to the 5th or 6th post by Victrinia

just curious as this tree has also served as inspiration for my work with cypress.
john
John.... you're absolutely correct.... I've made a grave mistake I'm sorry. I made reference to the wonderful Guy Guidry earlier in this post and I've confused the ownership of this fabulous tree. I will find Grant Bowie's tree when I get some more time and post it here as it is also a wonderful source of inspiration. Thanks for the pick up John.

shane martin

Seedling
Reaction score
Swamp Cypress update pics

Now we are all wondering what those tridents must look like!;)
Hi Judy,
here is an update pic of my tree after some more work on the branches. Nothing major, just light trimming, and a little further with the turnbuckles on the lower branches. I have done a virt of another direction possible with the tree, but this will require some seriously advanced carving and trunk splitting techniques.....the virt was fun and it's good to visualise alternate designs.
Oh and here is a pic of the Tridents I dug last Winter Judy to relieve your curiosity ....:D
23-1-13_before trim.jpg
23-1-13 after trim.jpgShari virt.jpg
cut n clamped virt.jpg
Last winter saw the removal of around 24 Trident Maples from the ground after 15yrs of growing, periodic root work, pre styling & shaping..... here are a few from that dig.
Trident Maple Winters dig 2012.jpg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Gee whiz Shane, got many projects brewing???:cool:

I really like your virt, thats a really good direction, with some great material.
Keep posting updates!!!
(on the tridents too!);)

shane martin

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks Judy,
Yes... wifey thinks I might have a few too many projects on the go:D:D
The Trident is my most favored tree to grow, because of its rapid growth here, and tolerance of extreme root work. All these trees in the pic can and will eventually go into pots which will only be 2-3 inches deep, and some of the bases are up to 22 inches across like this Fusion project tree I've been working on for 21yrs.... I will start new threads for each tree, so as to keep this one for the swampy.:)
TR-01_copy.jpg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think they're going to have to add a drooling icon for us to post now...

Top Bottom