large trident... ground layer or root graft?

Aaronkslater

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This was my acquisition last year from the Bonsai West Fall Sale. The trunk on this beast is about 5 inches across right above the root flair. I haven't found the front or planting angle yet but I'm almost sure I will need to do some work on the nebari no matter what direction I go in.

Question for the large trident experienced out there: should I ground layer it or do a bunch of thread grafting of roots onto it? What are the pros and cons of each? I've never ground layered something this large... is there much danger of killing it? It seems that grafting gives more control and less chance of killing the tree but will take longer? Is that true? will the results of ground layering look more natural? I'm conflicted and don't want to mess up (kill) a decent piece of material... and my most expensive bonsai purchase to date.

thanks for your advice!

Attachments

• IMG_3123.jpg
    IMG_3123.jpg
    355.5 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_3124.jpg
    IMG_3124.jpg
    374.1 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_3125.jpg
    IMG_3125.jpg
    372.7 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_3126.jpg
    IMG_3126.jpg
    358.5 KB · Views: 106

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I've had poor results with layering tridents, but very good results with root grafts. Unless you have access to seedlings that are still dormant, you'll have to put things off until next year, but I'd do the grafting. I'd plan on moving it to a deep wooden grow box next spring, have 40-50 seedlings available and perform A LOT of grafts. In 2 years, you'll have vastly improved this material.

Adamantium

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've had poor results with layering tridents, but very good results with root grafts. Unless you have access to seedlings that are still dormant, you'll have to put things off until next year, but I'd do the grafting. I'd plan on moving it to a deep wooden grow box next spring, have 40-50 seedlings available and perform A LOT of grafts. In 2 years, you'll have vastly improved this material.
Completely agreed. Grafting would look way better.

I'm curious, why would it be better to use dormant saplings? Don't most layers take best if you start them after leaves harden off? I realize it's a graft, not a layer, but isn't it the same principle? Or not really, since you want the cambium to fuse?

small trees

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B

I'm curious, why would it be better to use dormant saplings? Don't most layers take best if you start them after leaves harden off? I realize it's a graft, not a layer, but isn't it the same principle? Or not really, since you want the cambium to fuse?
how are you going to fit a leafed out sapling through a hole in the trunk?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

how are you going to fit a leafed out sapling through a hole in the trunk?
What he said. Thread grafting on maples is done with whips without leaves, and healthy trident seedlings post thread grafting, in the right soil with good food and sun exposure, are going to grow so quickly as to be fully grafted by the end of the first year.

BonsaiMatt

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I am curious about how to thread graft at the angles you would want the roots to exit the trunk. Seems like the top of the seedling would need to exit under the trunk or on the other side of the nebari...
Any tips on how this is done properly? Approach grafts are often not so pretty when a monkey like me does them... ?

Aaronkslater

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone

thanks Dav4!
I have four dormant whips now (wife keeps asking what these trees are doing in the fridge) maybe I'll thread these now... And I am starting 50 seeds any day now (currently stratifying). I didn't think I would need 40 grafts though! It's good to hear that and start thinking along those lines... Do you think one year old whips or two year whips? attempt 40 grafts in one go or do half and then the other half the year after?

thanks all

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I am curious about how to thread graft at the angles you would want the roots to exit the trunk. Seems like the top of the seedling would need to exit under the trunk or on the other side of the nebari...
Any tips on how this is done properly? Approach grafts are often not so pretty when a monkey like me does them... ?
If you're wanting to perform root grafts on big stock like this, you're going to need big bits;). Those drill bits are 12 inches long.
1524158814740.png

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
thanks Dav4!
I have four dormant whips now (wife keeps asking what these trees are doing in the fridge) maybe I'll thread these now... And I am starting 50 seeds any day now (currently stratifying). I didn't think I would need 40 grafts though! It's good to hear that and start thinking along those lines... Do you think one year old whips or two year whips? attempt 40 grafts in one go or do half and then the other half the year after?

thanks all
Your seedlings will be any where from 1 to 3 ft tall next spring... perfect! I'd have as many seedlings as available next spring, and do as many as you think you need, then plan on having more seedlings available at the next repot.
These pictures were separated by 2 years... the root grafts from the first picture make up most of the roots seen in the second picture.
1524158994100.png1524159065156.png

Last edited:

Adamantium

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What he said. Thread grafting on maples is done with whips without leaves, and healthy trident seedlings post thread grafting, in the right soil with good food and sun exposure, are going to grow so quickly as to be fully grafted by the end of the first year.
Ahh, so I was thinking you would just strip half the cambium, make a notch in the base of the tree, and then press the two together, using cut paste to secure them. I didn't think we were talking about thread grafting. I thought that was only for putting branches where you want them.

I thought root grafts were treated differently.

Edit: Like you did there in that last photo.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ahh, so I was thinking you would just strip half the cambium, make a notch in the base of the tree, and then press the two together, using cut paste to secure them. I didn't think we were talking about thread grafting. I thought that was only for putting branches where you want them.

I thought root grafts were treated differently.

Edit: Like you did there in that last photo.
Right, in the last photo, I performed an approach graft instead of a thread graft. I still wouldn't do this with leafed out seedlings as everything needs to be bare rooted to do the work properly.

Adamantium

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Right, in the last photo, I performed an approach graft instead of a thread graft. I still wouldn't do this with leafed out seedlings as everything needs to be bare rooted to do the work properly.
Makes sense. Thanks!

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
should I ground layer it or do a bunch of thread grafting of roots onto it?

Thread grafing, but I think it would be even better to repot it in a container three times as wide and half that deep : in a "flat" container, the roots will spread and fuse.

You could do both actually...

Top Bottom