Large Tsukumo Cypress

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hello all,
This is a large Tsukumo cypress entrusted to me by the owner of the nursery that I go to to get it shaped up ... The tree's form had been lost and given that it is a cypress.. There was an enormous amount of die back through out the entire tree. Every branch on the tree, including the hundreds of secondary and tertiary branches were all growing straight up as well. It took about 22 hours over a 4-5 day period to shape it up.. I think that we got to it just in time before the die back became uncontrollable.

I tried to leave as much foliage as possible.. However, the tree is not as full as it looks in the pics.. It was pruned quite heavilly.

Here are the pics.. It is a fairly large tree.. You can see by the size of the refrigerator behind the tree in the first pic

Comments always welcome..

Rob

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 160
  • pictures2 014.jpg
    pictures2 014.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 148
  • pictures2 017.jpg
    pictures2 017.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 160
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 149
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
NEBG is going to be thrilled... and I have no doubt John will be very proud of your work. It looks great. :)

V

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thank you very much Victrinia... The tree should be allowed to grow for a while now. Unfortunatley, there are parts of the foliage on the tree that are not healthy. So even though it is not dead, it was choked out so to speak by the foliage being so crammed and light not being to penetrate the interior. However, the next flush of growth, should be very healthy...

p.s. The owner said it was beautiful when I brought it back to him...

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thank you very much Victrinia... The tree should be allowed to grow for a while now. Unfortunatley, there are parts of the foliage on the tree that are not healthy. So even though it is not dead, it was choked out so to speak by the foliage being so crammed and light not being to penetrate the interior. However, the next flush of growth, should be very healthy...

p.s. The owner said it was beautiful when I brought it back to him...

I have a very small one comparatively... and I too had to do a lot of thinning... this species has a tendancy to want to look like a clipped poodle. In fact I has seen one that very much looks like a clipped poodle... it was alarming. lol

Anyway... though it's a slow grower, NEBG will have optimal growing spaces, so it will likely bounce back much quicker. The delicacy of the foliage makes for an certain amount of tedium when working with them... but it's just so darned pretty when it's done well.

I bought mine from the Tak Yamaura from British Columbia... who I believe is the man who introduced the species to North America. :)

This is likely one of his as well... as most larger ones are.

Victrinia

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Miss Vic...I would love to see pics of your cypress.. Don't think about it..Just post it here or in a seperate thread..Don't be shy

Hello Dave.. Good to hear from you... We could use you on Wednesday night... Maybe make the commute one night...lol........Anyways..thanks for the reply.. It was an honor to work on this tree for them..

Rob

cquinn

Shohin
Reaction score
that's nice dude. Maybe he will give it to you! It should be yours.

Brian Underwood

Chumono
Reaction score
Nice transformation! I really enjoy your work, and look forward to seeing more of your personal trees and projects.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
that's nice dude. Maybe he will give it to you! It should be yours.

hehehehe those can be very pricey trees even when they are small....lol I don't have a clue what NEBG would want for it... but it wouldn't be gifted under any circumstance... Man I wished that was the case for all the trees I re-work and maintain at Elandan...lol I'd be in heaven. :D

V

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hello cquinn..That will not be happening...lol... This was one of his "Not for Sale" specimen pre stock...I like the way you think though

Thank you very much Brian Underwood...There was a lengthy time where I would not post anything..However, I post trees now not really to show the work, but because I think that people might enjoy seeing some natural looking bonsai.

Hello Miss Vic,,, ya, taht would be nice... If thats the case..there are a couple of 300 year old california junipers at the nursery...lol

Rob

Top Bottom