Large Winged Elm

CasAH

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Who is Jason? o_O:D

Fair enough, you may be right. Either way I'll have to do the ground layer to produce usable roots at the base. During the time it takes for me to separate the tree I'll think over everyone's suggestions and try to create the best route for the tree.

I could just chop right away and begin development this season but the upper trunk is worth saving so if I go the chop route I'd rather airlayer them.

Julian, spell check, I think the top is worth keeping, just not with the base.

CasAH

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like Harry's Hawthorne a lot. He built a fairly nice tree from a relatively straight trunked specimen.

http://www.bonsai4me.com/AdvTech/ATHawthornTwinTrunkProgressionSeries.htm

Yes, Harry made a very nice tree, that I also admire.

Your tree on the other hand has a lot more movement at the base, than goes straight. If you air layered it above where the trunk straightens out that would be good, but than you would lose the sub trunk.

I think if you want the main trunk and the sub trunk on the same tree, you need to reduce both trunks significantly.

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
Yes, Harry made a very nice tree, that I also admire.

Your tree on the other hand has a lot more movement at the base, than goes straight. If you air layered it above where the trunk straightens out that would be good, but than you would lose the sub trunk.

I think if you want the main trunk and the sub trunk on the same tree, you need to reduce both trunks significantly.
That's a valid consideration. I'd like to believe there is some merit to my vert and it has some potential but these issues may express themselves more further along the design. Is that slight movement at the base so conflicting with the straight trunk though?

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
The problem that you have is the smaller trunk intersects the base at a right angle. It is too old/thick to be bent and will always have that angle - and it will only get more noticeable with time.
After I do major cut backs this winter if I get fortunate enough to get low buds I'll probably cut back and regrow the sub trunk entirely.

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
Which direction did you go?
I airlayered both trunks. Unfortunately the main one died, but I have the smaller one which is developing into something like a raft. The main trunk is still in the pot, it'll be allowed to grow freely this year and ground layered later.

Top Bottom