Large Wisteria chop in SF Bay Area?

cbrshadow23

Shohin
Reaction score
I've been looking for a good sized Wisteria to work on for quite a while now, and finally found some big ones at a nursery nearby. They're big (8' tall) and relatively expensive ($149) but the trunk is a nice size. They're potted in 10 gallon nursery pots currently.
If I bought one could I chop down the trunk and expect the trunk to grow new branches? What's the likelyhood it would survive? I live in Fremont, CA and we don't have a 'real' winter here - no snow and it doesn't ever freeze. If I did this cut what would be the best time of year to do it?
I don't want to spend the $150 if the chop is just going to kill the tree.
Thanks for any advice!

HoneyHornet

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Did you do it?

Attachments

• 20200909_124505.jpg
    20200909_124505.jpg
    330.2 KB · Views: 49

HoneyHornet

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
No, not without any information on it being possible or not, what time of year etc. I was surprised I didn't get any responses here.
Also, nice tree!

Awee Mann should have got it anyway!!and kept it large pulled over a pergola lol sounds nice i never see them for sale big like that

And thanks ! Had to yank it out with a machine lol

cbrshadow23

Shohin
Reaction score
Awee Mann should have got it anyway!!and kept it large pulled over a pergola lol sounds nice i never see them for sale big like that

And thanks ! Had to yank it out with a machine lol
I hear they grow wild all over on the east coast. I would not be able to hold back from collecting a bunch of them :)
The Wisteria trees are still available at the nursery so I might grab them still. I want to be sure they'll recover if I chop them though.

HoneyHornet

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Mine snapped from ground when I pulled it with a front end loader and its still alive lol

Attachments

• 20200909_114939.jpg
    20200909_114939.jpg
    382.3 KB · Views: 32

cbrshadow23

Shohin
Reaction score
How big are these guys? Is it mainly vines and lattice or does it have a legit trunk?if so im jelly they dont sell them like that by me
They have a legit trunk and stand on their own. I think they're in 5 gallon pots currently. I'll stop in sometime soon and take some pictures. Maybe I'll buy one as well.

Top Bottom