Large Yamadori JBP Progression

ValorG

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hey guys! Excited to finally be able to work on my first large jbp yamadori and thought i would share the progression and get insight and advice from you guys to really make this tree the best it can be.

How it looked when i first colleceted it.
IMG_20160329_170329.jpg IMG_20160329_180826.jpg IMG_20160329_180847.jpg

ValorG

Yamadori
Reaction score
After a year I cut the largest top most branch which i was using to give the tree strength. This is the front I'm thinking of using. IMG_20170701_190500.jpg

ValorG

Yamadori
Reaction score
I was only going to work on some of the exposed branches for now but as I got started I kinda got carried away :O

IMG_20170702_113216.jpg

IMG_20170704_112917.jpg

ValorG

Yamadori
Reaction score
Wasnt happy with the live/shari areas so I tried to make it better and this will be it for now. Any future changes will be done in following years.
IMG_20170704_130151.jpg IMG_20170704_130327_01.jpg IMG_20170704_130341.jpg

ValorG

Yamadori
Reaction score
Which front do you guys prefer? This was the original I was going with but after removing so much bark I'm not sure if its the best anymore. IMG_20170704_152322.jpg

Second option. Ignore the branches sticking out on the left. Those can be easily cut and wont be seen.

IMG_20170704_152238.jpg

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Now all you can do is wait lol
In the meantime go clean up your garden :eek:
At least the part in the third picture lol :p

zelk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Maybe field grown is more suiting than Yamadori?

Arbitrary none the less, I hope it does well. You did a lot there. To me the Shari just reminds you that there is an issue with the taper. I wouldn't try to remedy that now with more work like carving. The exposed cambium that almost wraps 180 around one of your remaining branches also puts that branch in jeopardy for desiccation. I would have outlined my Shari zone with chalk and sat on it for several months before even thinking about cutting into it. Then I would only work on one side of it or in patches working my way out over time. Too much all at once in my opinion. I hope it's ok!

CasAH

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What do you mean by JBP yamadori in NY?

JBP were a commonly planted tree in NY, until it was discovered that they tended to spread on their own.

Not really invasive, but they made up an outsized proportion of pines in NY. They stopped planting them to prevent the possible loss of too many trees to pests, like the emerald ash borer or Dutch elm fungus.

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
hope it lives! pretty sweet! count the rings, how old is it?!?!

ValorG

Yamadori
Reaction score
I hope it'll be ok too. Pretty sure the branches i have will live just worried that parts of the trunk may die off near the back and side. Time will tell I guess.
hope it lives! pretty sweet! count the rings, how old is it?!?!
Counting the rings at the top most cut it was about 20-25 years old. So I'm assuming if i was able to count lower on the trunk it would actually be older?

ValorG

Yamadori
Reaction score
How's your grafting?
I've done a few approach grafts. Where are you thinking it needs grafts? I'm still not even sure how this tree will be styled or how to incorporate that left branch into the design.

Top Bottom