Large Yamadori JBP Progression

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's sounds scary.
Only 2", but it took all this from straight in an hour.
I have split and twisted them a complete 36o degrees in one hour, makes them grow better:)
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
@Gdy2000

ValorG

Yamadori
Reaction score
whoaaaa you actually did it. I thought u were being kinda sarcastic when you told me that lol. You definitely have balls of steel. You added so much more character to that treee! Great job. I have another pine of similar size to yours. I may have to get it a try on that one.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've done a few approach grafts. Where are you thinking it needs grafts? I'm still not even sure how this tree will be styled or how to incorporate that left branch into the design.
I'd graft new branches all over the trunk. Scion grafts.

ValorG

Yamadori
Reaction score
I'd graft new branches all over the trunk. Scion grafts.
I think thats out of my comfort level. The bark is like 3/4" in some areas and I'd have no idea how to even slice a clean slit into the cambium with all that bark. Thank you for the suggestion though. I appreciate hearing peoples suggestions.

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
whoaaaa you actually did it. I thought u were being kinda sarcastic when you told me that lol. You definitely have balls of steel. You added so much more character to that treee! Great job. I have another pine of similar size to yours. I may have to get it a try on that one.
I have pushed them to the extreme limits more than once without killing them.
Now if I can keep one for more than a few years without selling it.
It's hard to tell in this mess what happened, but I still have it also and it's much healthier than it was before I worked it.
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
Some nights I will fall asleep with ear buds in listening to Japanese music and wake up from nightmare-ish thoughts about trees, then in the day light I'm like WTF DID YOU DO TO THAT TREE!
JK completely planned out :rolleyes:

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think thats out of my comfort level. The bark is like 3/4" in some areas and I'd have no idea how to even slice a clean slit into the cambium with all that bark. Thank you for the suggestion though. I appreciate hearing peoples suggestions.
Sand the slot in it with a dowl and 60 grit paper.
Or chisel it.

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

I can confirm....

Before
20160809_144819529_iOS.jpg
During
20160809_145246051_iOS.jpg 20160809_145949434_iOS.jpg
The twist
20160809_152718358_iOS.jpg

It was all Stickroot, I looked on in horror:)

We just took the apparatus off and it looks great. Not only does the tree have added character, but tiny buds appeared all over the place!

I'll take some pics of the updated tree this weekend and post.

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It's sounds scary.
Only 2", but it took all this from straight in an hour.
I have split and twisted them a complete 36o degrees in one hour, makes them grow better:)
Damn @Stickroot that is so cool. Thanks for showing us that!
Got to try that on some of my saplings, or maybe even my back yard JBP.
CW

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Some nights I will fall asleep with ear buds in listening to Japanese music and wake up from nightmare-ish thoughts about trees, then in the day light I'm like WTF DID YOU DO TO THAT TREE!
JK completely planned out :rolleyes:

Wow! Thank you for showing this series! A photo is worth a thousand words. I am seriously considering going out and buying a few landscape JBP now that I have passed over in the past as being too straight and uninteresting.

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Damn @Stickroot that is so cool. Thanks for showing us that!
Got to try that on some of my saplings, or maybe even my back yard JBP.
CW
Wow! Thank you for showing this series! A photo is worth a thousand words. I am seriously considering going out and buying a few landscape JBP now that I have passed over in the past as being too straight and uninteresting.
Doing this on the hottest day of the year when the tree is dry as could be works best to get maximum movement with the least amount of breakage.
I also move slowly giving things like wood, live tissue and bark a chance to separate from each other and move instead of breaking.
@ValorG I didn't mean to get off track with your tree, just wanted to show you what is possible. It takes masters years to understand the limits and a lot off times they don't even speak of work like this, but there are thousands of trees like this one.
In the case of this one, one whole side of the split was removed!image.jpeg

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here's my tree just a few days before we took off the "twist". This was almost exactly one year. As @Stickroot said, we did this in the middle of the summer. It was very hot!!
20170329_220041359_iOS.jpg

Here are some pictures from this morning..
IMG_1491.JPG
IMG_1494.JPG
Check out the new buds that popped after we split...these buds are now a little over a year old
IMG_1493.JPG
One last look... planning on a chop this winter.
IMG_1497.JPG

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

ValorG

Yamadori
Reaction score
MAN! I would SO split that thing right under that branch and follow it down that groove in the bark!
Let's make a trade and I'll do it :)

By the way, it's looking good.
Great work!
Haahaha now you want it after its looking decent. Maybe i'll do it myself in the future :p. Thanks man, it was lots of work pulling all those fibers.

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's my tree just a few days before we took off the "twist". This was almost exactly one year. As @Stickroot said, we did this in the middle of the summer. It was very hot!!
View attachment 155805

Here are some pictures from this morning..
View attachment 155801
View attachment 155803
Check out the new buds that popped after we split...these buds are now a little over a year old
View attachment 155802
One last look... planning on a chop this winter.
View attachment 155804

Can you do this with Junipers? Sorry to ask on a pine thread.

Top Bottom