Larger order of mume

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Say I wanted to make a larger order of small mume. It could be bare root, rooted cuttings or possibly even un rooted cuttings. Where would you all look? I’ve been eyeing dave Wilson nursery but curious to see what others have used.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Regular garden nurseries sell them over here for about 3-8 euros a pop.
Bonsai nurseries sell them over here for about 30-75 euros a pop.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Unless you can provide a DBA and TIN they will not do business with consumers.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Say I wanted to make a larger order of small mume. It could be bare root, rooted cuttings or possibly even un rooted cuttings. Where would you all look? I’ve been eyeing dave Wilson nursery but curious to see what others have used.
How big is a "larger order?"

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
How big is a "larger order?"
I'm wondering if the OP is thinking a 25 or 50 plant order is a "larger order"?

I've contacted many wholesalers and most will only sell bundles of 50 or 100 plants per species with a minimum order of usually 500 plants to just make an order, as well as being a registered business. I contacted DW once and they referred me to their list of retailers......which equals to retail prices, lol

One needs a lot of space to grow out 500+ trees.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm wondering if the OP is thinking a 25 or 50 plant order is a "larger order"?

I've contacted many wholesalers and most will only sell bundles of 50 or 100 plants per species with a minimum order of usually 500 plants to just make an order, as well as being a registered business. I contacted DW once and they referred me to their list of retailers......which equals to retail prices, lol

One needs a lot of space to grow out 500+ trees.
If the "larger order" is 1,000 or more, then that would make a commercial nursery a viable option. IF the order is less than that, like 200-500, smaller individual growers are a better source, I'd think.

Canada Bonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with Dave Wilson, was transferred to Sean in sales department, great guy.

Dave Wilson does not sell Prunus mume rootstock. The closest they offer is 'Myro rootstock' (Myrobalan Plum, Myrobalan 29C, Prunus cerasifera), in 3.8" to 1" diameter.

Minimum order is 200 units. Shipments for 2022 are done for the year. ALL of their material for 2023 is already bought/under contract, and nothing will be available unless people cancel orders.

They are also working grating a few cultivars that are fairly common in the USA (Bongo, Peggy Clarke, and Shiro Kaga), which may be available in the future but not in 2022 or 2023.

Top Bottom