Larger Quantities of Soil

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I need about 44L of soil for a 1.5'x1.5'x8" grow box. Anyone have any less expensive sources? I'd prefer to use an organic substrate. Bonsai Jack is the best deal I have found so far.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
44L sounds like a lot for those dimensions. You sure it’s not more like ~14 or less with tree?

bonsaidave

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Is this for an established tree or for something you just collected from nature?

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yea, it just seemed egregious!!??

I just did the math & that looks right.
L x W x H = 2592”
x .0164

damn

bonsaidave

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I plan on using expanded shale and hardwood/bark for some growing boxes this year. Probably 3:1 or 4:1 mix expanded shale: hardwood/bark. I know a local guy that does this for many of his younger bonsai trees.

If you can find it expanded shale should be like $10-$15 per bag. Then get this from Lowes if it is available. https://m.lowes.com/pd/Landscaper-Mix-2-cu-ft-Garden-Mix/50385814
Just need to sift and wash everything. I got at least 4 gallons of smaller than dime size bark from that 3$ bag.

It's not an ideal soil mix but it's cheap as hell.

Hope that helps.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You could just use a standard nursery growing mix (bark/peat based) and perlite to add drainage, then gradually shift toward a more inorganic mix as
you step down the container size.

I remember talking to the person at the old Wee Tree nursery in Oregon (or Washington) and she said they had great success transitioning field
grown material using sawdust (not fine dust, coarser stuff) for the first year or two. Think I've heard of others doing similarly.

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I plan on using expanded shale and hardwood/bark for some growing boxes this year. Probably 3:1 or 4:1 mix expanded shale: hardwood/bark. I know a local guy that does this for many of his younger bonsai trees.

If you can find it expanded shale should be like $10-$15 per bag. Then get this from Lowes if it is available. https://m.lowes.com/pd/Landscaper-Mix-2-cu-ft-Garden-Mix/50385814
Just need to sift and wash everything. I got at least 4 gallons of smaller than dime size bark from that 3$ bag.

It's not an ideal soil mix but it's cheap as hell.

Hope that helps.

Interestingly, I recently found out quite a few people in my club just use straight haydite for conifers and mix in pine bark for deciduous. I've been using DE/lava/perlite but I'm thinking next year I'll go with DE/lava/haydite.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It did seem like a lot but I used a volume calculator a few times. Maybe (I hope) I am wrong?
Unless the tree you're putting into the container has no root ball, that's a lot of soil. You're likely to have to use less (perhaps a lot less), if the tree has a big rootmass. Still having more bonsai soil on hand is better than not having enough.

If I were you, I would look to local bonsai clubs for advice. Shipping 11 gallons of soil is very expensive. You might call the Long Island Bonsai Society to see if they have a list of LOCAL suppliers for soil or components...
LIBS is in Hauppauge
Phone: (516) 593-1855

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Call around to some sand, gravel, and landscaping suppliers. In the Western US it’s possible to get 1 cubic yard of pumice delivered for $150 and the price significantly drops with quantity.

Shinjuku

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Call around to some sand, gravel, and landscaping suppliers. In the Western US it’s possible to get 1 cubic yard of pumice delivered for $150 and the price significantly drops with quantity.

I was just about to suggest this. I googled “rock yard” to find local rock and gravel suppliers. I found one that sells 1/4 inch scoria and another than sells both 1/4 inch pumice and 1/8-1/4 inch pumice. They charge me $3.50 a bucket if I bring a shovel and fill my buckets myself, and they call it a “sample size.” I get lots of fines that I have to sift out, but for $1 a gallon, it’s a steal.

They usually sell their rock by the ton to construction companies, but they get a kick out of me buying a bucket or two for bonsai.

Your mileage may vary, but there’s a decent chance that you can find something similar. It never hurts to ask.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Did you take into account that the tree will displace some of that?
That was my assertion to the OP as well.
Other factors I didn’t ask: these measurements from inside the box? Is 8” according for ~1” of lip from top of box??

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Cheers guys. I’m aware of displacement due to tree, probably should have indicated that. I think I am going to call the local club first and go from there. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Top Bottom