Larix forest in the making

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was not happy with the result though, so I spend a bit of time remodelling it, adding smaller trees, trimming a little and I was convinced: This is what I will leave it at, so it can really settle in for the rest of the year:
1585719910195.png

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
But.. We had some nice weather. I was doing some maintenance on some trees, scissors at hand.. And I decided to give it a trim to get the tree-heights better matched to the trunk sizes, and the overall profile. This is what it is like now. And considering the work I did on the roots... I really need to leave it alone! It is not stored in my shed untill the 20F nights pass.

1585720036365.png

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
But.. We had some nice weather. I was doing some maintenance on some trees, scissors at hand.. And I decided to give it a trim to get the tree-heights better matched to the trunk sizes, and the overall profile. This is what it is like now. And considering the work I did on the roots... I really need to leave it alone! It is not stored in my shed untill the 20F nights pass.

View attachment 292853
I agree! Looks really good now compared to earlier. Can't wait to see how it matures!

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I think you need to do some more pruning!:p

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hi,
Great start and love that pot!
I just got to ask a question - Can you give me a reasons/thoughts as to why you have designed this as a “far view” forest?
I am struggling with the perspective bit of this, and one part of me wants to put the biggest trees in the middle fanning out to the wee ones out wide. The other part to my thinking is a more obvious one - your trees and your artistic work.
Looking forward to your answers to help my design brain.
Charles

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I have no idea what you mean with this.. :(

Hi,
So I am trying not to offend here so here is my take.
I maybe totally wrong here but I see that this is planted to the back of the pot, and this works as your eye is drawn to the major tree. By being drawn into this, there is in my mind a need to have the smaller trees out wide as the two little ones beside the main tree look a bit weird. I think the idea was to get some perspective by the little ones in the rear, but the main tree is in the rear too.
I do like the different girths of the trees and will be real nice to see the new bright green foliage soon.
This is just me thinking out loud, so if you disagree then cool. Just me wanting your thoughts so it may help me with my poor design skills etc.
Charles

vancehanna

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Without trying to upstage the lovely beginning of a forest, this three tree grove was at one time a five tree grove. Somehow the other two over the past 15yrs died out and I hesitate to replace them. The trees were collected in Vanderbilt MI in 1985 as I had business there and would travel there from the Detroit area about 6 x a yr. The following year they were planted into a tray. 1995.JPG1998.jpgDec 2019.JPGDec 2019b.JPGMarch 2020.JPGThe height today is 4' or [120cm]. It was lowered last Fall about 6" [15cm]. Slab is reinforced concrete made with the guidance of my friend Paul Baresi back in 2000.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just gave this another trim and thinning. Not sure whether I want to wire this out, or whether I will let the branches find their way, aided with selective pruning.

With the trees settled, I guess this year I WILL give it some fertilizer!

20201228-R14A4754.jpg

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Coming along nicely. I have a couple dozen American and Japanese larch developing girth and structure before transferring to pots, maybe next year or two. I bet they loced this cold weather we have been having here.

Top Bottom