Larix Larcinia Trunk chop

BonsaiMania

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Would someone be kind enough and chime in with regards to trunk chopping I would like to be advised where the best place to chop would be.
I am also planning to move this tree in a grow box, am I too late in regards to disturbing the roots?

Thank you kindly!
20210415_183221_mfnr (2).jpgo late to disturb the roots?

Thank you.

butlern

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I think too late to disturb the roots. Ideally, there should just be only a slight bit of green peeking out from buds

butlern

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
And “why” do you want to trunk chop? Specifying your goals will stimulate better responses to “where.”

smjmsy00

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You could also wire in some movement into that thin trunk, wire the other branches, build up ramification (lots of threads about larch specific methods here), etc. Repot next spring before buds start to "move". Trunk chopping seems to be the default, but you're essentially starting over before you've even started with that lil' guy.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I also think trunk chop is not needed. Unless your going real small, I’d let it grow out. Train the branches you envision keeping later down the road. When trunk is right, chop and pull up new leader for taper and movement.
I love tamarack!

Top Bottom