Larix x eurolepis 08-02

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Another Dunkeld Larch from a batch of 2yr-old seedlings I bought in 2008.

I first put them in plastic pots, then used aquatic plant baskets. I wired this one, and in March 2012, this is how it looked like:

larix08-n02_120301a.jpg

I nearly lost it from lack of watering during a hot period when I was away: almost all the leaves ware burnt, and I really thought it was a goner, but since it was in a pond basket, I thought I could try to put in in a larger plastic pot with 5-7 mm pozzolane and put it in the shade to keep the roots moist but not soaked. And it worked.

End of July 2015, it had lost a few branches, but was on its way to recover:

larix08-n02_150725d.jpg

I kept it like that for some time, wired it, ...

larix08-n02_161217b.jpg

... wired it some more...

larix08-n02_170306a.jpg

... and finally decided to repot it a few days ago:

larix08-n02_170306b.jpg

I thought there would be many more roots:

larix08-n02_170306c.jpg

So I pruned about 1/3rd of the roots and repotted it in a shallow pot that I had just spared from another one:

larix08-n02_170306e.jpg

A bit too much on the right, but we'll see to it next year, if it survives...

Last edited:

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
... ...I thought there would be many more roots:
So I pruned about 1/3rd of the roots and repotted it in a shallow pot that I had just spared from another one:
Why is it that you root pruned and didn't use the pond basket again if I may ask? Don't get me wrong, I'm asking out of curiosity. No intention to criticize.
... ...we'll see to it next year, if it survives...
Wish you the best!
I do love larches and I like yours!
I have tried a young Larix kaempferi (more heat tolerant) but it didn't make it in my climate. Didn't have enough cold for dormancy...

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Why is it that you root pruned and didn't use the pond basket again if I may ask?

Just because it was high time to repot it, and change the soil so it would thrive again.

(I bet you it will survive :cool:)

james

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Larch don't like warm and dry roots. The pot you chose is pleasing, yet you may find it heats up in summer more than the tree can tolerate. If you can, place on wood, rather than stone or metal. After repotting a larch into a shallow pot, I pulled it off the stone it was resting on, then needed to repot into a deeper pot as it struggled in the summer heat.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Beau mélèze!

Merci ! ;)

Larch don't like warm and dry roots. The pot you chose is pleasing, yet you may find it heats up in summer more than the tree can tolerate. If you can, place on wood, rather than stone or metal.

You're right, but this was the only pot I had that could fit.

When the weather gets really hot, I put my larch in the shade, on a fabric to keep the weeds at bay, and I add coarse pine bark between the pots. I forgot to do it for this one...

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
It looks as though the trunk did not take the full set from the wiring. The more rightward pointing apex was working for me. I love it regardless. It is yet another nice tree from you and I'm looking forward to following it

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
larix08-n02_161217b-jpg.135464

larix08-n02_170630a-jpg.152026

It looks as though the trunk did not take the full set from the wiring.

It was more to bring back the trunk to the "front" than anything else, and it worked all right. See what I mean ?

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Update :

March 2018. It was bending forward too much :

larix08-n02_180417d.jpg

April 2018 :

larix08-n02_180527a.jpg

March 17th, 2019 :

larix08-n02_190317a.jpg

larix08-n02_190317b.jpg

With a 50 cl can of "eine bier" for the scale :

larix08-n02_190317c.jpg

Still a lot to do at the top, and the second branch on the right looks too long but it's still a bit thin so I'm planning to let it grow to strengthen : chi va piano, va sano ;)

Top Bottom