Larva in fertilizer cakes?

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
About a month back I whipped up a batch of fertilizer cakes for the trees. Today I picked one up and noticed lots of little white worm looking things. I did notice they are breaking down the cakes, but worry if they are harmful to my trees at all?20160612_173904.jpg
Any help would be awesome.

Aaron

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Nope, just doing what maggots do which is to eat the type of organic material in your cakes. Next time you make your poo balls, mix in a little sevin liquid...problem solved.
Is my fertilizer going to waste at all because they are munching it?

Aaron

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So gross!
I have never seen such a magget mess ever, well on dead stuff. I think you let it ferment to long.
Also after they are balled/formed... Keep them DRY! They will not produce this while they are dry. YUCK MAN!
I don't think they will hurt you, but I would definitely put some Seven or bayer in there just in case.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
So gross!
I have never seen such a magget mess ever, well on dead stuff. I think you let it ferment to long.
Also after they are balled/formed... Keep them DRY! They will not produce this while they are dry. YUCK MAN!
I don't think they will hurt you, but I would definitely put some Seven or bayer in there just in case.
I actually only let it ferment for about 12hrs overnight, so I don't think it was that lol

Aaron

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I actually only let it ferment for about 12hrs overnight, so I don't think it was that lol

Aaron
Wow, yeah it probably did not firmest at all in 12 hours. Ferment.
Also keep it covers tight so no flies lay yucks in it.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I knew it was a dumb question lol

Aaron

I wouldn't have known either....

It's funny though right!?:p

I saw a dead Carp with some billion maggots on it the other day....flipped it over so the bluegill could eat !

One time....I was poking at a leather bag in the river....till it punctured...and The smell said dead cat! Eeeeeeeeww.

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
@aml1014
Oh, I have exactly the same hairy larvae in soybean meal. Is your trees all right after a while?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Maggots are just breaking down the pellets, turning some into easier to absorb nutrients for the tree, but turning the most important nutrient, nitrogen, into maggot or fly protein. If the maggot survives to fly away - they take the nitrogen you wanted your tree to have away with them. If the maggot gets killed, and decomposes over your tree roots, then the tree gets the nitrogen.

This is why I use chemical fertilizers. More efficient, and effective delivery of nutrients to the tree. And maggots will attract skunks, racoons, possums and other insect eaters, chemical fertilizers will not.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
@Leo in N E Illinois
I noticed that many Japanese cakes don't attract flies. I don't understand what their secret is, because they also rot and smell, but the larvae don't settle on them.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@Leo in N E Illinois
I noticed that many Japanese cakes don't attract flies. I don't understand what their secret is, because they also rot and smell, but the larvae don't settle on them.

I don't know why, I only use chemical ferts.
By the way, I just listened to the Mirai - Ian Hunter-Ryan Neil podcast about soil science. I need to ponder this chunk of knowledge. Some excellent science, but they did go beyond science into speculation. I need to chew it all over. There may be good reason to use only organics. Or stick to chemical, but build an organic component into the potting media.

theta

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just noticed for the first time this season I have tons of flies all around my cakes, which I didn't cover this year. Is this one reason why teabags are used, to keep the flies away? Last year when I had them in teabags, they never really fully decomposed, they just sat there all summer.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Is this one reason why teabags are used, to keep the flies away
No, the tea bags don't work and attract flies with their smell and rotting. I used them with soybean meal.

There may be good reason to use only organics. Or stick to chemical, but build an organic component into the potting media.
I think that the best is the combination of organic and inorganic. Most likely, I will completely switch to worm castings as a replacement for soybean meal, if I don't find a way to effectively scare away flies.

Ali Raza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
It normally happens when you use organic cake. Same was the problem with me, rotting cake and unpleasant smell. But I didn't notice any harmful effects on the plants. Normally takes couples of week till the plant get the fertilizer out of rotting cake.

Top Bottom