Last BSC entries....Where are they now....?

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'm interested in what the entries from the last one look like now....Mine is still alive but I can tell I took too much off as many said....I'll take a few shots and post them tomorrow....How about everyone elses entries...?

Brian

PS....I sure hope Vin reconsiders and takes the reins again for the next one.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My apex died back a bit. But I won't know much till spring!

I understand how Vance could have felt how he did.

I hope Vin caught the apology, and saddles up again too!

Sorce

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I didn't really think about the northern folk and the fact that theirs may still be buried in the snow.

Brian

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
My apex died back a bit. But I won't know much till spring!

I understand how Vance could have felt how he did.

I hope Vin caught the apology, and saddles up again too!

Sorce

I PM'ed him and apologized before I published the public apology. I too hope he reconsiders. I'm more concerned about losing a friend over this contest disagreement/my rant.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My spruce is happily frozen right now, but appears to be completely healthy. I will post a photo in the spring if this thread is still alive... the tree certainly is.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I didn't really think about the northern folk and the fact that theirs may still be buried in the snow.

Brian

I'm a northern folk...I contacted two nurseries and mentioned our contest...and what it was about. One has 2 gal. red azaleas...the other said they had a few ideas that could maybe work. But both offered to open their doors by appointment.(They are still closed but have no problem opening up for me by an appointment) One only has to pick up the phone...or check on FB to see if they have a Facebook page...and make contact. Both were super nice...I live an hour from one...and a little over an hour for the other in the opposite direction. But even still...if I can't find material...I still would want the contest to go on...and catch the another in the spring. Even if I had to only follow ones...and their progression and such.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I'm a northern folk...I contacted two nurseries and mentioned our contest...and what it was about. One has 2 gal. red azaleas...the other said they had a few ideas that could maybe work. But both offered to open their doors by appointment.(They are still closed but have no problem opening up for me by an appointment) One only has to pick up the phone...or check on FB to see if they have a Facebook page...and make contact. Both were super nice...I live an hour from one...and a little over an hour for the other in the opposite direction. But even still...if I can't find material...I still would want the contest to go on...and catch the another in the spring. Even if I had to only follow ones...and their progression and such.

I certainly do not want to drop a boulder in the creek, now that it might be safe to go into the water, but even if they did open up for you is this one of the Ubiquitous Big Box stores or a local Mom & Pop? It seems to me that if it is not a BBS the entry will be disallowed. Just asking????? Big Box Stores around here; places like Lowes, and Home Depot, though their doors are open they have no nursery unless they have a few hot house plants that tempt you. These businesses will not be bringing stuff in till the last of March, unless we have a winter like two years ago, that was so warm.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I certainly do not want to drop a boulder in the creek, now that it might be safe to go into the water, but even if they did open up for you is this one of the Ubiquitous Big Box stores or a local Mom & Pop? It seems to me that if it is not a BBS the entry will be disallowed. Just asking????? Big Box Stores around here; places like Lowes, and Home Depot, though their doors are open they have no nursery unless they have a few hot house plants that tempt you. These businesses will not be bringing stuff in till the last of March, unless we have a winter like two years ago, that was so warm.

No not a big box store...not a mom and pop. Reputable nurseries where ones go to by landscape for their yards. Where I've acquired a few trees and shrubs along the way for my own yard. The one actually came and pruned our flowering plum in our yard this winter. Their professionals...the material I would be looking at...would be left over from last year. The rule was...no bonsai nurseries...one could go to a nursery/box store and choose one. I had spoken to Vin on the matter...though that is the title of the challenge...I do see where that does seem like a hiccup. But we took photos of the nurseries we gathered our material from last year along with a photo of the receipt proving it came from such a place...as long as it wasn't from a bonsai nursery it was allowed. Though...you do bring up a valid point...(mine came from a box store last challenge...but I was allowed to look into regular nurseries as well as long as they weren't bonsai nurseries. I assumed the same rules applied.)

Edit: if I'm not mistaken...the reason they opened regular nurseries to the contest...was because members weren't finding material at the end of season. So rule allowed regular nurseries to allow more members an opportunity to participate.

Last edited:

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score

I believe in the previous contest, entries from a regular nursery were allowed, the goal we as to avoid people going and buying stuff from a bonsai specific place where the stock may have already been picked out and styled a little in the direction of becoming a Bonsai. Most of the nurseries I got to (we don't really have a Bonsai nursery in my town) have the standard stock you would find at a big box store- the Encore and Bloomathon azaleas, typical I gallon and 3-5 gallon nursery stock Juniper, Boxwoods... They all seem to buy from the same places!

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I believe in the previous contest, entries from a regular nursery were allowed, the goal we as to avoid people going and buying stuff from a bonsai specific place where the stock may have already been picked out and styled a little in the direction of becoming a Bonsai. Most of the nurseries I got to (we don't really have a Bonsai nursery in my town) have the standard stock you would find at a big box store- the Encore and Bloomathon azaleas, typical I gallon and 3-5 gallon nursery stock Juniper, Boxwoods... They all seem to buy from the same places!

Thanks for clarifying that. Terminology and definitions sometimes make all of the differences in the world. I agree a Landscape Nursery would be the best choice, not ruling out anything but the Bonsai Specific stores. Are some of you aware that there are some full service nurseries that do support a bonsai section? Some are better than others but most carry pots wire and some material that may not be common in the general nursery section. What do you all think of that?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I paid like $7.00 for mine and sold it at the bonsai swapmeet last month for $25.00

Attachments

• aaaa.jpg
    aaaa.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 104

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Are some of you aware that there are some full service nurseries that do support a bonsai section? Some are better than others but most carry pots wire and some material that may not be common in the general nursery section. What do you all think of that?

Vance, I think that this would go against the spirit of the rules, if not the actual rules themselves. Could be moot at this point, but I think the idea is to take raw, untrained (for bonsai) material without spending a lot of cash and see what you can do with it in comparison with others using the same untrained types of plants.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Vance, I think that this would go against the spirit of the rules, if not the actual rules themselves. Could be moot at this point, but I think the idea is to take raw, untrained (for bonsai) material without spending a lot of cash and see what you can do with it in comparison with others using the same untrained types of plants.

I agree, and it could open the door for hard feelings.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

I would certainly try it this time. Last time in my rush to try it I found a nice sergeants juniper in home depot and styled it then put it in a bonsai pot ! Then reading the rules realized it was supposed to be in its original pot which was thrown away and gone so I had to drop out. LOL this time I may read all the rules.

ed

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My tree looked the same as the day it was styled when I packed it away this fall. It was treated much more harshly for the contest than I would ever do to a tree that I really wanted to care for and develop properly. I am quite curious too how it will fare over time. Under snow now.

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Well as promised here is my entry as of today.

BSC--%2B001.jpg

Brian

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice beginning. You don't get stuff like this with Azaleas or Ficus.

True, but did I read where this one was supposed to be deciduous material ?

EDIT: My bad, it said evergreen material that is " not in the coniferous family "

ed

Last edited:

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thank you Vance....I'm just happy it's still alive after almost 6 months....I think with the new contest more emphasis will need to be placed on future development in mind.....JMO

That said Stacy (sawgrass) knocked it out of the park with a little weeping yaupon holly last contest and that species would have been good to go under the new rules for the upcoming one.

Brian

Top Bottom