Last one...

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My mom used to serve us smoked butt. Store bought, it was almost red. She boiled it in cabbage.
I remember liking it, but I think your's is going to be better.
CW

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Hmmm, surprising. My biggest issue is keeping the temps LOW enough, basically between 220-250F.

This is one of those largish upright box type units, I think the problem is the airflow for the coals as they just don't burn. I think the tray supplied was just that, a flat solid tray. I reckon if I drill a bunch of holes in it it will work.
I could use the Weber kettle but the smoker was a b'day gift so I'll persist with that.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yup, you need to get some air-flow around the coals. Some chicken-wire layers slightly off-set so they form a bit of a "mesh" to hold the coals.
Get it up over your desired temp, let it burn down just below that same and start feeding your coals....just a little at a time.

Yum!!!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Yup, you need to get some air-flow around the coals. Some chicken-wire layers slightly off-set so they form a bit of a "mesh" to hold the coals.
Get it up over your desired temp, let it burn down just below that same and start feeding your coals....just a little at a time.

Yum!!!
Yep, air flow is everything for these low temp cooks. In a few hours, I’ll have to poke holes down into the mass of semi burnt charcoal to make sure air can penetrate it to keep it going.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Last one? You don’t live in MA anymore, son. You can smoke those puppies year-round. 12-hour smokes are best started at bedtime, then when you get up in the morning they’re almost ready. Might have to do one when GA meets Bama for the SEC Championship...:D

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

Yum!!!
Last one? You don’t live in MA anymore, son. You can smoke those puppies year-round. 12-hour smokes are best started at bedtime, then when you get up in the morning they’re almost ready. Might have to do one when GA meets Bama for the SEC Championship...:D
I'm using a weber kettle... no way to adjust the temp or feed fuel. I was tempted to start it last night but thought better of it.

Plus, I now have an indisputably awesome excuse to drink beer ALL DAY LONG!!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Last one? You don’t live in MA anymore, son. You can smoke those puppies year-round.
Last? pfft
Youre in Georgia, you dont have real winter.
We BBQ up here year round in 2 feet of snow.
It doesn't feel right smoking a butt in long pants and a flannel shirt... it was only 63F when I started the grill... BBBBBrrrrrrrrr!

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I got into smoking a couple of years ago. I agree with people above - smoke all year round man! I use a Pit Barrel Cooker, which is very easy to use, cooks a little faster than other smokers, with less clean-up needed. Very easy to smoke all year round.

And beer is great any time - though, I tend to Texas crutch my butts through the stall in foil with some beer in it. Smoked a 7.5 pound butt last night. Good stuff! I like big butts and I cannot lie.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Comon, drinking beer, watching football or hockey and BBQ feel good food is awesome.

Theres a house not far from me they have an outdoor fire pit and they set up a big screen TV and watch football out there and BBQ in the fall

God...now I feel like a beer
*heads for fridge*

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Everything in moderation my friend!

Top Bottom