Last tree of the year, 2019 edition

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I hope this is the last tree for the year to get to my place
Not succeeded..

Today I was at a friends' nursery and he had a big pile of trees that he thought were not economically viable anymore. Some because they dried out in summer, some because of standing around too long and outgrowing the shape. As we hada club day at the nursery, we dove in the pile and pulled some trees out in exchange for a bit of money for the tip jar. I pulled this yellow pine out (Note: It is suppose to be dark blue green; It is a Scotch [hic] pine. This one is one of the trees that grew out too much and received too little fertilizer for a bit and now will need a good year of work to get some growth back on the inside:

Two hours, a wheelbarrow full of dead stuff, some guy wires and a watering can of foliar feed later:

If it responds well, and returns to healthy colour by late spring, I will repot this with a friend and then spend a year focussing on backbudding.

Oh, this is not the nest front. But I realized that only later and do not have a full set of pictures yet. THe lower trunk is much better from another angle

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Well, when I started this thread, I certainly intended it to be my last tree of the year. But, sometimes shit happens.....I have been searching for the right tree for my purple @sorce pot and ebay has tempted me with two candidates. A tiny 3" dwarf Barbados cherry and a 4" purple bougie, which is on it's way. The last purchase might be a big mistake, lows Monday are in the teens, but it hasn't shipped yet and temps will be rising later in the week. When I saw the little purple bougie, I could see it in this pot, and bid on it against my better judgement , not really expecting to win the auction. Will post a picture, when it arrives. This WILL be my last tree of the year!😇

Attachments

• new dbc2.jpg
    new dbc2.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 33
  • new dbc.jpg
    new dbc.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 40
  • SORCE POT.JPG
    SORCE POT.JPG
    136.2 KB · Views: 47

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
2 Hinokis and 2 shimpakus
Nice thread @Carol 83 . Like your new bougie, hope it does well by you.
Well I went to the Monastery for soil and ended up with a Brazilian Rain Tree...So I got a little one! ;)
I was in there about a month ago. Used to always get their "Master" series soil till they closed their online store. GOOD STUFF!!!

Got one of their starter Thoweil Hinoki (on the left) and a nice "lotus" pot while I was there
that I'd been looking for - seems like all year on the net.
Sure is a LOT of high $$ communities there.The one with the fountains at intersection
at the top of the hill on both sides of the road...remarkable!
DSC_3657.JPG
Thoweil and Seka Hinokis
DSC_3661.JPG DSC_3663.JPG DSC_3658.JPG
Then at PCB I got the Seka Hinoki (repotted 2 weeks prior)
looks to be quite the cold hardy specimen, and 2 shimpakus with promising nebari.
Screwed up and left an Itoigawa, was spent down after vacation.

atlarsenal

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
2 Hinokis and 2 shimpakus
Nice thread @Carol 83 . Like your new bougie, hope it does well by you.

I was in there about a month ago. Used to always get their "Master" series soil till they closed their online store. GOOD STUFF!!!

Got one of their starter Thoweil Hinoki (on the left) and a nice "lotus" pot while I was there
that I'd been looking for - seems like all year on the net.
Sure is a LOT of high $$ communities there.The one with the fountains at intersection
at the top of the hill on both sides of the road...remarkable!
View attachment 270523
Thoweil and Seka Hinokis
View attachment 270524 View attachment 270525 View attachment 270527
Then at PCB I got the Seka Hinoki (repotted 2 weeks prior)
looks to be quite the cold hardy specimen, and 2 shimpakus with promising nebari.
Screwed up and left an Itoigawa, was spent down after vacation.
I use the “Golden Medalion” on collected trees.

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I went to maple ridge nursery last week and picked up a couple of 7 gal trees to layer and play with next year. This one wasn't labeled, either arakawa or nishik igawa, one and the same? Who knows. Anyway I'm pretty excited about it. Planning a ground layer first in the spring to get the nebari started...20191110_122531.jpg20191110_130940.jpg

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Well I ordered these months ago and they didn't have what I ordered in stock so I waited until they got back to me and said they can't send what I wanted but could send something else so this is what I ended up with.

On the left a JRP and the right a little Mugo mops.

IMG_20191112_140843733.jpg

Kind of in the same position as @leatherback where I really want to keep these alive, I've had no luck with pines either.

Also had a few small starters come in, this one was the most interesting of the lot.
A Banksia marginata

IMG_20191111_151714752.jpg

The others were Eucalyptus pauciflora, Callistemon white something, Melaleuca violacea and a Buckinghamia something or other.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
My experience with Bucida is they (mine) just barely live up here in Detroit. The growing season being too short and the sun being not intense enough. By the time it gets growing modestly well, it's late summer.

n8

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Oops. One more...

Went to Maruyama today to get some supplies help my teacher load a massive Sierra juniper and found this Korean hornbeam out back. Small, but a great start.

Top left truck is about 5' tall. Going to do a couple air layers on it in the spring for propagation and then cut it back

Attachments

• IMG_7009.JPG
    IMG_7009.JPG
    294.2 KB · Views: 8

Schmikah

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My experience with Bucida is they (mine) just barely live up here in Detroit. The growing season being too short and the sun being not intense enough. By the time it gets growing modestly well, it's late summer.

I ended up getting two grow lights for the tropicals I bought this year (including the bucida) and got a humidity tray to give them a little boost since they'll be spending the winter indoors. Last I checked (I'm out of town so my family is taking care of them until I get back) they were still hardening off after pushing a little new growth at the beginning of october. I'm hoping that keeping them a little cooler (near a window) and giving them around the same amount of light hours they would get in native environments will keep them healthy but we'll see.

Top Bottom