Late collection help needed

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
Alright, so its been almost 1 month since I did anything to this other than water it. Seems the browning is mostly all tied to the same branch off the main trunk.

20200708_185007.jpg

20200708_185016.jpg

20200708_185024.jpg

So my question is, do you all think I should be removing this dead foliage as it emerges? Or just leave it in hope that tree balances itself out?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I would leave the dead parts on for now. The idea would be that this pine is having issues with sap flow and turgor pressure. If you'd make a wound, it might start leaking sap and lose more of that pressure.
The dead parts will desiccate over time and should be easy to remove in the future. They pose no harm for now.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
It can take conifers a long time to decide whether to live or die. Removing dead parts will do nothing to help this survive. They may look bad but will not affect the tree's survival.
Just keep your fingers crossed and continue with care.
Plenty of time to work out what to do with dead parts if/when it recovers properly.

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
maybe a root issue (no growth, root rot etc). i'm not optimistic for its future but good luck anyway :confused:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Best thing about dead parts is there's live parts.

Sorce

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
Got it, thanks everyone! I'll leave it there. I agree with @sorce it doesn't really bother me as long as there is something green there also

maybe a root issue (no growth, root rot etc). i'm not optimistic for its future but good luck anyway :confused:

I wouldn't necessarily say I'm optimistic, but I know when pines go south they do so hastily lol so everyday it stays green is a day to smile 😃

@Woodblock77 how is you tree holding up?

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Johnathan, I hope the tree lives for you! Its got a beautiful trunk.

I would leave as much as possible. If the tree lives, it will give you deadwood options down the road.

I think youve done a great job with it... better than I would have!

RobC

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
just got mine yesterday. this thread helps a lot.

Top Bottom