Late collection help needed

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
okay everyone so later today I intend on going to try and collect this pine tree. I guess the new homeowners are wanting it gone ASAP.

Screenshot_20200602-105029_Chrome.jpg

It's the bush on the left. I think it's a mugo pine. My plan is to collect as many roots as possible and place it into a black tub with pumice.

I was thinking about using the bag method around the container for a month or two, but am not sure. Anyone have any post collection tips for a pine this late in the season?

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
okay everyone so later today I intend on going to try and collect this pine tree. I guess the new homeowners are wanting it gone ASAP.

View attachment 306610

It's the bush on the left. I think it's a mugo pine. My plan is to collect as many roots as possible and place it into a black tub with pumice.

I was thinking about using the bag method around the container for a month or two, but am not sure. Anyone have any post collection tips for a pine this late in the season?

A few tips, make sure you're using sifted pumice. The dust can really clog things up and reduce much needed oxygen in your container. Try to get as many roots as possible and put it into a container which fits the root ball. Don't bare root the tree, make sure you keep the collected soil that sticks to the root ball-Pines need the mycorrhiza relationships. Keep the tree on the ground. Good luck!

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
Keep the tree on the ground.
I was picking up what you was laying down up until this. Just curious whats the logic? The tree will probably be on the ground until I can get another bench setup, but still just curious lol

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Make sure you make a massage appointment for the next day, your back will thank you!

I think keeping the tree on the ground will prevent the rootball from tearing apart from all the soil dangling on. Keeping the pot on the ground will help it retain moisture.

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
I was picking up what you was laying down up until this. Just curious whats the logic? The tree will probably be on the ground until I can get another bench setup, but still just curious lol

It might not matter much during this time of year and I'm prob not the best person to give you an in depth or thorough scientific explanation. But, in general moving a tree around to specific positions in the yard is a good idea. If you get a temp spike you might move to full shade, if it's not too hot keep it in full sun. Keeping it on the ground as the temp of the ground will buffer things a bit. If it's really cold outside, the ground is going to be warmer than a bench. I base this off recommendation from Randy Knight who I believe has likely successfully collected more coniferous yamadori than anyone else.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a

View attachment 306610

Conveniently, I believe many people have the most success repotting mugo in the summer. Read Vance Wood's threads on mugo pine- hes the forum expert on the species, and has been growing them many many years. Good luck

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When I collected mine, same, I cut the 8 ft roots with feeders at the ends instead of coiling them in the pot.
My only regret . It would have lived if I did.

Sorce

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Absolutely🤪! Dug one of these several years ago. Way more work than expected and died in Spring freeze 2 years later:mad:. Learned Did not like smell of the foliage.

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
Wellllllllll.......

They called me back, apparently the person flaked on them. Said I can come and get it!! 🤘🏾

I get there and it's massive. Intimidating for sure. But I get to take a peek at the trunk and 🤗

IMG-20200608-WA0001.jpeg

They proceed to tell me I can cut it back and leave branches and whatever they just purchased the house and want it gone, so I figure what the hell!!

Well, no rain all week, super dry Oklahoma red clay dirt just crumbling everywhere and a hour and a half later, it was out.

20200608_192738.jpg

20200608_192750.jpg

20200608_192746.jpg

Soooooo, obviously I wish that it had not bare rooted itself, i tried to keep roots as long as I could and collect as many feeder roots as possible but who knows what will happen now. Maybe @Vance Wood knows 🙏🏾🤞🏾

Anyway after hauling it back home, I quickly realized the container I intended to use was just to small to fit it in.

I grabbed the Bald Cypress, and stole its water container and that just barely contained it, but allowed me to plant it comfortably.

Completely unprepared, I bust opened a bag of pumice and just dumped it..... then realized I had no drainage!!!! Drilled a few holes in the bottom on the sides and then got bit by a mosquito.... figured I'd better snap a few quick pictures for you guys and then get inside.

20200608_214510.jpg

20200608_214501.jpg

20200608_214546.jpg

Tomorrow I will actually anchor it into the tub and try to thin out the canopy a bit to take some stress off the roots. I didn't want to Remove a bunch of foliage tho.

Tomorrow it'll find its way to a section of the yard that gets morning sun,, but shaded in the after/ evening for a couple weeks. Until then, hopefully it doesn't blow over during the night!!🤦🏾‍♂️

Attachments

• 20200608_192748.jpg
    20200608_192748.jpg
    355.6 KB · Views: 99
  • 20200608_192738.jpg
    20200608_192738.jpg
    451.7 KB · Views: 83

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Well done on that massive transplant.
I have mentioned a few times that collected trees are always larger than they seem so have a much larger container on hand.
I think it is a good thing the clay fell off the roots. I know many tell us to take as much native dirt as possible but clay in containers is difficult to manage and can be deadly for roots. I usually shake off as much field soil as I can before potting up so that I can water freely after collection. Seems to work well enough here.
Don't take off too much foliage now. A good few growing tips seems to help the roots grow back better.

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
I hope that it lives. But seeing how bare those roots are, in the sense that I can hardly see feeder roots being present at all, I wouldn't get my hopes up too much if I were you.
I know... maybe I should place a layer of sphagnum moss on top to increase the humidity. Maybe even try my best to plastic wrap the bottom, or garbage bag wrap it?

Anyone seen @Vance Wood ?

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I did that moss application to one of my junipers. I can recommend leaving a small area around the trunk clear of moss, so that that'll be the most airy part. I made the mistake of packing only around the trunk, and over time that area didn't dry anymore in between waterings. It's easy to remove, but having to do it because of prolonged wetness isn't ideal. Better to prevent than cure.

I would want water to drain freely. I have some bad experience with clogged pot holes and mud caking up on the bottom layer. Bagging things up has always been detrimental to my practices, but @River's Edge seems to like it! As far as I know, he bags the apexes.

If you have any rooting hormones lying around, it wouldn't hurt blending some of it in with the soil. Maybe it doesn't do anything, maybe it helps the tree with some auxins. Pines in general are not very responsive to it, but I believe in this case, it can only do nothing or do some good.

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Place it somewhere where it evaporates as little as possible. Maybe in a shed or garage so there is no wind and put some wet towels around to increase air moisture. Spray the tree so it's wet itself.
The more water it looses the more it has to take up.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I did that moss application to one of my junipers. I can recommend leaving a small area around the trunk clear of moss, so that that'll be the most airy part. I made the mistake of packing only around the trunk, and over time that area didn't dry anymore in between waterings. It's easy to remove, but having to do it because of prolonged wetness isn't ideal. Better to prevent than cure.

I would want water to drain freely. I have some bad experience with clogged pot holes and mud caking up on the bottom layer. Bagging things up has always been detrimental to my practices, but @River's Edge seems to like it! As far as I know, he bags the apexes.

If you have any rooting hormones lying around, it wouldn't hurt blending some of it in with the soil. Maybe it doesn't do anything, maybe it helps the tree with some auxins. Pines in general are not very responsive to it, but I believe in this case, it can only do nothing or do some good.
Not true! Only use bags for carrying root balls tightly home. Sometimes for surrounding cuttings out doors.

Top Bottom