Late Larch re-pot

hamme1rl

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
My once beautiful European Larch is flagging. It emerged well from winter this spring. In Mich it is still spring, very wet and cool. I experimented with varying watering and amounts of sun exposure. In mid May brown tips were visible. Rest of tree seemed healthy. I clipped off brown tips but others formed. I was still pinching vigorous candles until last week when tree faded. Yesterday it became droopy. It's gone I thought. This morn I emergency re-potted by slipping tree into bigger pot w/ minimal disturbance of roots; I didn't even compress new soil around old, just soft placed it. After I pulled it there was some muddy decayed clay material in the bottom that may have inhibited draining a little. Deepest roots were wet. I have tree indoors for now to get it out of wind and hot sun today.

Attachments

• 1tamarac.JPG
    1tamarac.JPG
    179.8 KB · Views: 79
  • 2tamar.JPG
    2tamar.JPG
    352.9 KB · Views: 86
  • 3tamara.JPG
    3tamara.JPG
    271.2 KB · Views: 83
  • 4leaf brown.JPG
    4leaf brown.JPG
    371.5 KB · Views: 82
  • 4wilt.JPG
    4wilt.JPG
    270.1 KB · Views: 90
  • 5old pot surf.JPG
    5old pot surf.JPG
    276.5 KB · Views: 85
  • 5rooots.JPG
    5rooots.JPG
    323.2 KB · Views: 87
  • 6roots.JPG
    6roots.JPG
    287 KB · Views: 82
  • 7slip pot.JPG
    7slip pot.JPG
    259.1 KB · Views: 89

hamme1rl

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Photos 1-3 were early to mid May. Remaining photos from yesterday and today.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have tree indoors for now to get it out of wind and hot sun today.
Full sun, sun-up to sun-down, water every day it doesn't rain. Your pinching is what you do to shape a healthy tree. Not healthy, stop pinching. Kepping a tree out of a summer wind is also counter-productive. Lots of wind means lots of transpiration. That is part of the process of evaporating gases out of the leaves which draws fresh replacement liquids containing water and compounds from the roots to the leaves that are used to produce sugars that are used to grow. The more fluids transpired, the more growth (within limits). I don't know what your tree's problem is or was, but good practices are always helpful.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh, damn! I hope that beauty pulls through.

The pic named 5old pot surf.JPG appears to show a damping fungus or bacteria. It could be Rhizoctonia spp., Fusarium spp., or Pythiumspp.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
All soil based fungus infections need stagnate soil air circulation to flourish. By renewing the soil keeps the air circulation in good condition.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I had an American larch suddenly lose and entire branch this spring, looked similar. The tree has since been totally fine but it was odd, and not exactly the branch I would have chosen to remove. Good luck, I was only left with questions.
And I see someone beat me to the "full sun" advice. If I can keep mine in full sun at 6b you'll be fine in 5b

hamme1rl

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Oh, damn! I hope that beauty pulls through.

The pic named 5old pot surf.JPG appears to show a damping fungus or bacteria. It could be Rhizoctonia spp., Fusarium spp., or Pythiumspp.

I thought it was a surface fungus too, but then wondered if it was an accumulation of cottonwood fluff which has been abundant lately and is on the surface of my other trees' pots too.

hamme1rl

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Full sun, sun-up to sun-down, water every day it doesn't rain. Your pinching is what you do to shape a healthy tree. Not healthy, stop pinching. Kepping a tree out of a summer wind is also counter-productive. Lots of wind means lots of transpiration. That is part of the process of evaporating gases out of the leaves which draws fresh replacement liquids containing water and compounds from the roots to the leaves that are used to produce sugars that are used to grow. The more fluids transpired, the more growth (within limits). I don't know what your tree's problem is or was, but good practices are always helpful.
It's raining today now and threatening to do so for the rest of the week. I didn't want more water on those roots yet, but will put it out between showers tomorrow.

hamme1rl

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I thought it was a surface fungus too, but then wondered if it was an accumulation of cottonwood fluff which has been abundant lately and is on the surface of my other trees' pots too.
I did spray with Mancozeb to treat fungi if present.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I really hope it pulls through for you. How did you get yourself a nice European larch like that in N.A.?
Did someone grow it out from seed?

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You live at the southern-most extent of Tamarack and you acquire a European Larch? What'sa matta you? Only ours will stand, -must have very moist conditions, and you have one of the other seven varieties, all of which do not like wet feet. ?? If I read this right, you have evidence of surface fungus, which means MOLD? Boo Hiss (...everybody in the Colosseum on their feet, booing loudly, arms over their head, thumbs pointed down. The Emperor comes to his feet, raises his hand...)

hamme1rl

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I removed all Cottonwood cottony webs from tree yesterday to examine better for mites and left overnight. I do have red spidermites via the white paper test. I sprayed this morning with soapy neem oil mixture combined with peroxide and 5 hours later mites are still moving around. I retreated this afternoon. I'm not sure this is the entire problem with this tree, but this is no good.

Attachments

• mites.JPG
    mites.JPG
    161.8 KB · Views: 43

hamme1rl

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You live at the southern-most extent of Tamarack and you acquire a European Larch? What'sa matta you? Only ours will stand, -must have very moist conditions, and you have one of the other seven varieties, all of which do not like wet feet. ?? If I read this right, you have evidence of surface fungus, which means MOLD? Boo Hiss (...everybody in the Colosseum on their feet, booing loudly, arms over their head, thumbs pointed down. The Emperor comes to his feet, raises his hand...)
I have some native tamaracks too. I was treating this tree somewhat similarly to its' detriment. I've only had it (now lost it) for a year.

hamme1rl

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I really hope it pulls through for you. How did you get yourself a nice European larch like that in N.A.?
Did someone grow it out from seed?
Gee Farms in MI.
My once beautiful European Larch is flagging. It emerged well from winter this spring. In Mich it is still spring, very wet and cool. I experimented with varying watering and amounts of sun exposure. In mid May brown tips were visible. Rest of tree seemed healthy. I clipped off brown tips but others formed. I was still pinching vigorous candles until last week when tree faded. Yesterday it became droopy. It's gone I thought. This morn I emergency re-potted by slipping tree into bigger pot w/ minimal disturbance of roots; I didn't even compress new soil around old, just soft placed it. After I pulled it there was some muddy decayed clay material in the bottom that may have inhibited draining a little. Deepest roots were wet. I have tree indoors for now to get it out of wind and hot sun today.
Following two sprayings of friendly bug spray of soap, neem and peroxide I resorted to Raid House and Garden. No webs this morn but two mites. Sprayed again just now. Tree hanging on, but struggling. I trimmed off much of the browned and droopy needles and hoping for the best.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Sorry, I think this one is a goner. When all the needle drooping that means the roots are dead.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Sometimes the cure is more deadly than the disease. If you lose the needles just leave it in a shaded area and see if it comes back; this is possible.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Full sun, all day. Will not survive in shade. Sink the pot.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The foliage that's there is kaput and will not aid the tree in any way. Basic triage: treat tissue that will live because you treated it :: abandon that which is going to die no matter what you do. The only salvation is to grow from new buds. It won't happen quickly, if at all, but it's the only hope of generating buds and energy to survive next spring.

hamme1rl

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I removed all wiring this morn along with almost all remaining foliage. With wire gone, trimmed back to the few buds that are barely emergent. Pulled it out of the hard rain this morn. Back outside now. A few mites still around. Red pin head sized mites all gone, but near microscopic ones that I can see thru magnifying glass still moving. Tree still not brittle.

Top Bottom