Late Larch re-pot

Jorgens86

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You can spray with aspirin water. It helps to deal with stress also.
Hoes your tree doing today?

hamme1rl

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You can spray with aspirin water. It helps to deal with stress also.
Hoes your tree doing today?
Sprayed with aspirin. Any new sprouts come out with sagging needles. Tree is sadly a goner. Branches aren't brittle yet, but...

Jorgens86

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sprayed with aspirin. Any new sprouts come out with sagging needles. Tree is sadly a goner. Branches aren't brittle yet, but...

Well if needles come out, then its hope. Scrach bark from bottom, if its green then its still alive. Larches like most conifers die from bottom to top

hamme1rl

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Well if needles come out, then its hope. Scrach bark from bottom, if its green then its still alive. Larches like most conifers die from bottom to top
I scratched bark on lower limb to reveal green. Hope springs eternal, but I think it is gone. I have a particle of faith though, so will continue to wait and watch.

Attachments

• tamara camb.JPG
    tamara camb.JPG
    175.2 KB · Views: 30

Cosmos

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So let me summarize. You had a tree emerging normally from dormancy this spring, but April/May/June were cooler and rainier/less sunny than usual (it was the same here). You noticed some new growth browning.

You proceeded to:

- Move the tree around a lot to vary sun exposure, including bringing the tree inside.
- Experiment with your watering regimen several times.
- Prune browning needles.
- Take the tree out of the pot and transplant it.
- Pinch a portion of the candles up until recently.
- Spray fungicides on the tree.
- Spray aspirin water on the tree.
- Remove the wire that was on the tree.

And now the tree is kaput. That seems like death by a thousand cuts to me.

All of the aforementioned put considerable cumulative stress on the tree. I think the last thing you want to do with a weak tree in full leaf that’s not moving water properly is mess with the roots, no matter if you think it’s just a minor disturbance.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
What do you guys think, is a larch that grew happily for some 10+ years at the same spot a goner if she lost all leaves in the summer?

I don't wanna steal the thread but the topic is same. Mine was repotted last year, spent winter well, woke up just fine and grew like mad until I probably skip watering it one day. Not sure if this is the issue, if I really skipped watering it, this might have happened because of too many trees. And it was too hot for june... Next day I found her with leaves completely dry. So no insult and the problem looks same.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Maybe try hydrogen peroxide 3% a few times. It'll introduce more oxygen into the root mass and fight any anaerobic pathogens.

Jorgens86

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What do you guys think, is a larch that grew happily for some 10+ years at the same spot a goner if she lost all leaves in the summer?

I don't wanna steal the thread but the topic is same. Mine was repotted last year, spent winter well, woke up just fine and grew like mad until I probably skip watering it one day. Not sure if this is the issue, if I really skipped watering it, this might have happened because of too many trees. And it was too hot for june... Next day I found her with leaves completely dry. So no insult and the problem looks same.
Dont think that skipping watering for a day will turn leaves completley dry.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Tamarack grows in cool climates and like wet feet. Not like a Bald Cypress, but at the edges of bogs in eastern North America. They absolutely hate hot roots. I don't know about the other 7 Larches that are from drier regions, all northerly. But, I don't think any of them like hot, dry feet. The Arctic variety lives all the way to the end of the treeline with their feet in tundra!

If you stop to consider the facts of their foliage: Full-sun, soft, non-glossy, very high surface-to-volume ratio, it almost seems designed to transpire large volumes of water. I hose down my Tamarack forest every day intending to wet the soil as much as possible, and have a very organic soil mix in an extra deep pot, and it's all used up by the following day. I think the answer here is obvious, if unwelcome.

Jorgens86

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Tamarack grows in cool climates and like wet feet. Not like a Bald Cypress, but at the edges of bogs in eastern North America. They absolutely hate hot roots. I don't know about the other 7 Larches that are from drier regions, all northerly. But, I don't think any of them like hot, dry feet. The Arctic variety lives all the way to the end of the treeline with their feet in tundra!

If you stop to consider the facts of their foliage: Full-sun, soft, non-glossy, very high surface-to-volume ratio, it almost seems designed to transpire large volumes of water. I hose down my Tamarack forest every day intending to wet the soil as much as possible, and have a very organic soil mix in an extra deep pot, and it's all used up by the following day. I think the answer here is obvious, if unwelcome.
Well then im wrong here about drieing out in 1 day. But if very hot outside and tree is in small pot than it can drie out in fiew hours. So i take my words back :)

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

Thank you guys, this confirms what I thought. The tree got too hot and too dry. And the pot is intentionally bigger...
IMG_20190706_090339.jpg
Now let's see if she wants to live.
This winter was and this summer is pretty cruel to my trees.

Jorgens86

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you guys, this confirms what I thought. The tree got too hot and too dry. And the pot is intentionally bigger...
View attachment 250565
Now let's see if she wants to live.
This winter was and this summer is pretty cruel to my trees.
Get us in tuch about your tree!!!

Top Bottom