Late May Shots of Nat Arb Trees

MattE

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3b
No no no.....I'm just a shlub....who happens to work in DC and drive by the Arboretum often.....so I take advantage of it and patronize one of the best usages of my tax dollars.

Not to mention, seeing these trees season after season, year after year.....its just great!
That's why I share the pics here, I know many of us aren't as blessed as I am to be so close by.

I like to stroll through on my lunchbreak if I'm in that area of DC.....I go all over the city and the state of MD everyday.....commercial refrigeration service work.

haha hey man thats still pretty damn cool, im glad im not the only one who goes out of their way to see some nice trees, maybe talk to them a bit? lol good stuff keep the photos coming

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
1558493043048.png
Would you be so kind as to expound on this planting? Different trees...they work well together.
I like the stand as well.
I find it remarkable. Maybe not my favourite of all of the ones you posted, but very intriguing.
I had to go back and see if I had a fav, but just couldn't decide for sure without being there :)

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Thanks for all of the work to share. I can't even imagine having a tree as nice as those. Thanks again.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
View attachment 243378
Would you be so kind as to expound on this planting? Different trees...they work well together.
I find it remarkable. Maybe not my favourite of all of the ones you posted, but very intriguing.
I had to go back and see if I had a fav, but just couldn't decide for sure without being there :)
That is a very very large planting of Bald Cypress. They are all the same species. The slab it is on is so heavy and bulky it has to be moved with a crane. There were originally 10 or so collected BC in the planting when it was new about 20 years ago. Cold weather and the shallow planting has taken its toll over the years. The remaining trees have been repositioned on the slab over the years to keep the composition looking good.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A huge thank you for taking the time to posts these! I wish I had more time and grit to venture up 95 to see these for myself! Maybe it'll happen this summer...
If you are in Richmond and haven't been shame on you;). There is really no excuse for not making the trip at least once. If you're doing bonsai and haven't seen them, it will be a game changer for you. I've live in and around D.C. for the last 30 years now. I've been going to this museum for 25. I've watched the trees develop, change and even decline and recover. They are remarkable and the best collection of bonsai outside of Japan, period. The history and quality of the Japanese trees will never be equaled in any other collection outside of Japan, as they are official ambassadors from Japan to the U.S.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
That is a very very large planting of Bald Cypress. They are all the same species. The slab it is on is so heavy and bulky it has to be moved with a crane. There were originally 10 or so collected BC in the planting when it was new about 20 years ago. Cold weather and the shallow planting has taken its toll over the years. The remaining trees have been repositioned on the slab over the years to keep the composition looking good.
View attachment 243378
Its pond cypress and bald cypress....I'm scared that the old tree stump underneath will rot and collapse soon.
I assume that slab alone weighs 500 lbs or more.
Its a beast of a planting.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
If you are in Richmond and haven't been shame on you;). There is really no excuse for not making the trip at least once. If you're doing bonsai and haven't seen them, it will be a game changer for you. I've live in and around D.C. for the last 30 years now. I've been going to this museum for 25. I've watched the trees develop, change and even decline and recover. They are remarkable and the best collection of bonsai outside of Japan, period. The history and quality of the Japanese trees will never be equaled in any other collection outside of Japan, as they are official ambassadors from Japan to the U.S.
Absolutely, well said.
We are lucky duckies!

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If you are in Richmond and haven't been shame on you;)

Yes yes I know :(, I don't have a good excuse...

I rarely make it up there for pleasure. I used to have to drive to Chantilly a couple times a month for work; it took me 7 hours to get back to Richmond once... My brother lives in DC, maybe it's time for a visit!

Most definitely, the next time I'm up there I'll check it out!

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@just.wing.it anyone's guess under all that moss. unless rockm also knows the history. I have definitely seen this tree pop up quite a few times but still know nothing about it

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Every time I've been there I always like re-reading the small plaques of each tree telling a brief history on the tree.

A lot of those trees were passed down from generation to generation to be ultimately selected as the best to be given as a gift to the US.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This one....
And I cant tell if thats a knee or a wild root.
View attachment 243428
not a true knee. It is a looped root pulled up to look like a knee.

this was a landmark tree for U.S. native bonsai. The flattop hadn't been done much before and to such a realistic effect before Vaughn Banting (God rest his soul) used his skill to produce it back in the late 70's or so.
http://www.artofbonsai.org/galleries/banting.php

Last edited:
Top Bottom