Late summer euonymus collecting

ToastyWrench

Sapling
Reaction score
So I’ll be collecting this burning bush in the next two weeks, that’s the deadline for it. 50F2174F-636A-4B07-A4E5-4FE810021DA1.jpeg28291961-C9CC-4593-8EFD-F5A8834AB2E9.jpeg
It’s got some lower growth already going on it so I figured I’d give it a shot, if it survives the next decade or so it’ll be a cool ugly tree. I’m hoping to get any and all advice or thoughts on collecting this and best aftercare practices so I can get the best shot at survival. Here’s to digging up doomed trees 🍻

MHBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looks like fun - these are resilient plants and can take a lot of abuse. You'll probably find a really dense fibrous root mass around the base.

If it was me, I'd keep as big a root ball as I could untouched. Not wash it our or anything, and put it in a grow box with good draining pumice and keep it in half shade until it cools down. Even better, right back in the ground somewhere well draining. Let it recover all next year without messing with it much.

Or - if you are a risk taker (and want results fast at the risk of death...) go hard all around. Wash out every bit of field soil and get it right into a pot/box with good soil. Chop off any trunks you won't need now. Good chance it will bud out again next spring with no issues. They are resilient.

ToastyWrench

Sapling
Reaction score
Much appreciated! Yeah I think I’ll go with a slow approach on this one, thanks a lot for all the good info. I’m hoping to dig it after a decent rain so hopefully I’ll have some updates here soon
Looks like fun - these are resilient plants and can take a lot of abuse.

ToastyWrench

Sapling
Reaction score
well I finally got this guy dug up, After I lifted it I realized I had about 200lbs of a rootball to deal with.
Had a lotttttt of good feeder roots throughout the top half, the rest was a lot of clay and big roots. Got it in a box with pumice and topped it off with some garden soil just to help retain moisture a bit. Let’s hope I don’t have a heavy box with a dead tree in a week or two
2947FC43-509F-48A8-BF13-6CF55535ADE8.jpeg2396F0D1-9FFE-45B0-B4F9-10305DE979CF.jpeg2396F0D1-9FFE-45B0-B4F9-10305DE979CF.jpeg2396F0D1-9FFE-45B0-B4F9-10305DE979CF.jpeg2396F0D1-9FFE-45B0-B4F9-10305DE979CF.jpeg98EB8DC2-CED4-46A3-A88B-F0699A89566E.jpeg61AB16F4-7E2A-46F6-BE06-927EEFE61647.jpeg

Vali

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I dug one up last august and one a few days ago. Everything is still ok at this time. However, they were a lot smaller than yours, and much less roots. They are great because the tips of the new shoots wilt when they need water and go back to normal a few minutes after they get it. So keep an eye on that.

ToastyWrench

Sapling
Reaction score
. They are great because the tips of the new shoots wilt when they need water and go back to normal a few minutes after they get it.
it’s good to hear yours have done well after an august collection, and I appreciate the advice I’ll definitely be keeping an eye on those shoots, gonna put it in the shade for the rest of the season I think

Vali

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's probably for the best. However, I think mine gets a little when the sun is weak.

ToastyWrench

Sapling
Reaction score
Got some lovely color on my euonymus, glad to see it’s survived the past two months after collection.

Planning on removing the two largest side trunks, this should leave the rest of the trunks relatively more uniform in size. I think it’ll balance it out and give a bit more taper and flow to it…. Just not sure if I should cut now before any buds form in unfortunate locations (where they’ll get cut off) or wait until spring when I’ll most likely do some root work and remove some more heavy clay soil when the tree starts to move some resources.
I’m definitely open to suggestions or advice!

FB8A5255-C44A-4D8F-8201-17B3940CC722.jpeg10F95468-DBA2-4B6F-9A27-5C09A79CE29B.jpeg

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
The advice will always be 'wait til spring' for most folk across the pond. but for me youd have two choices, if youre not concerned about big chops n scars, and creating the odd uro here n there then it doesnt really matter, and for material like this thats the way id go. its very stumpy and lends itself to something more rugged. if you like smooth, scar less trunks then sure chop in active growth. these are basic decisions that are purely based on what styles you like.
theres loads of progression threads with similar stumps not just here but all over the net.
since its recently collected, you should probably allow it to recover and extend next season, but i see no harm in taking off bits that will never be used.
you get better at deciding what and what not to keep by studying what others did with similar material.

Last edited:

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I’m excited to see if this one thrives for you!
I’ll be watching the steps you make as I also have a big stumpy guy I’d like to pull.
The root masses are crazy on these.
As resilient as they are, I’ve still managed to kill 3 in 3 yrs. 🤣

ToastyWrench

Sapling
Reaction score
The advice will always be 'wait til spring' for most folk across the pond. but for me youd have two choices, if youre not concerned about big chops n scars, and creating the odd uro here n there then it doesnt really matter, and for material like this thats the way id go.
yeah I think this one’s going to lend itself to the grumpy old bastard style, planning on trying to highlight some of the uglier parts. Odds are I’ll chop the two trunks once the leaves fully drop. I appreciate the insight!

Cmd5235

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I’d suggest you leave it for now, and wait to see what/where it buds out in the spring. In my experience, they only flush out one time per year. Wait til that happens, and then you know what trunks survived and are growing- then you can start figuring out which ones to cut back.
I had a big one that I gave away a few years ago. I got excited with styling after I collected it and cut back branches, all of which were green. Only a few survived to throw buds the next year, which really altered the design. If I had waited, some of the branches I removed probably would have thrown shoots, and I would have had more to work with in the long run.
Also, I’ve never tried thread grafting these. I’m not sure how it would work with the wings/spindles. I’ve scraped some before that have resulted in the death of the branch, so I would hesitate about trying to thread graft. Perhaps someone on here has done this successfully, if so, I’m all ears.

ToastyWrench

Sapling
Reaction score
Yeah I’ll be honest I am a bit hesitant to cut them off just yet but for the most part I guess I look at it more like a make or break type of thing with those two largest outer trunks. With how large they are I just don’t see an appealing way to work them in. But we’ll see I’ve still got some more time before I’d be willing to make any cuts. I do definitely appreciate the insight though!

Top Bottom