Late summer repotting II

Uncle Robo

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like fun, bring out the beer, and it's a repot party!
Gorgeous tree and pot.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Do you have a favorite variety of Mugo? I have Pumilio, Mughus, and Tyrolean as well as the dwarf cultivar Mops. I have read that there are many others.

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Do you have a favorite variety of Mugo? I have Pumilio, Mughus, and Tyrolean as well as the dwarf cultivar Mops. I have read that there are many others.

Vance, mugo is a species that likes to mutate a little. Just about every valley has a slightly different type of mugo. They have varying t characteristics. Some of them hate to be a bonsai, some not. I prefer the ones that like to survive.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Vance, mugo is a species that likes to mutate a little. Just about every valley has a slightly different type of mugo. They have varying t characteristics. Some of them hate to be a bonsai, some not. I prefer the ones that like to survive.
You're not naming names though.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
If they're yamadori he won't be able to as they are all from seed & collected?
I'm sorry; but you don't get it. Just because they are Yamadori does not mean they do not belong to an identifiable group. This is what I am trying to iron out. I know there are some people over here in the US that think the Mugos in the nursery trade are nothing like the Mugos found in nature. Nothing could be farther from the truth, most Mugos are grown from seed or cuttings, grafting is almost not encountered here. It seems to me if as a collector of Yamadori trees and Mugos Yamadori in this case, I would go out of my way to find out which sub-species I am dealing with.

Walter Pall

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
You're not naming names though.

There are no names for these mutations. Garden varieties I don't do at all and have no experience with because the collected ones are so much better. WE have leaned that mugos from some places die easier than others. So we go to the places where the stronger ones are. They have no name other than mugo pine.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
There are no names for these mutations. Garden varieties I don't do at all and have no experience with because the collected ones are so much better. WE have leaned that mugos from some places die easier than others. So we go to the places where the stronger ones are. They have no name other than mugo pine.
I understand.

Top Bottom