Late Summer spruce wiring

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Update on page 2

Hello all.. I unwired my spruce about a month ago. Unfortunately, as spruces do, only 1/2 of the wiring took. Even after the wire was on for 1 year. Rewired the whole tree again. For a tree that in only 8 inches tall, there was a ton of wiring. Between that and the sharp needles, I feel like my bonsai work for the day is done..lol

Rob

Last edited:

Jaberwky17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Wow

What a nice, stately little tree. Bravo. I think my favorite part(s) are the ends of the needle clusters facing the viewer - like little beads. Almost makes me think of a cloved fruit.

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Love this little tree. It is not everyday when you get to see a small native spruce so well done. Great work, as always.

Are you completely happy with the pot? It is a lovely pot and looks to have some genuine patina. A good match for the tree, but in my eyes not perfect. Apologies if pot discussions for this tree have come up in the past.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
What a nice, stately little tree. Bravo. I think my favorite part(s) are the ends of the needle clusters facing the viewer - like little beads. Almost makes me think of a cloved fruit.

Thank you.. Yes, the ends are buds and also cut ends of branches. I also like they way they look. Almost like Christmas tree lights..lol

Rob

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Love this little tree. It is not everyday when you get to see a small native spruce so well done. Great work, as always.

Are you completely happy with the pot? It is a lovely pot and looks to have some genuine patina. A good match for the tree, but in my eyes not perfect. Apologies if pot discussions for this tree have come up in the past.

Thanks amkhalid. The pot was what the tree came in when it was sold to me. It was just repotted last year (not by me) into that pot right before I purchased it. Although the pot is fine for now, it will be changed maybe next year or the year after. I think with the tree developing nicely, a nicer pot will definitely be in order.

It will need to be a pot that is somewhat deep. Not necessarily for root accommodation, but because of that strong low branch. There is a subtle, cascade like quality to it. So a pot just as deep would match the tree, imo. I am open to possibilities.:D

Rob

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Thanks amkhalid. The pot was what the tree came in when it was sold to me. It was just repotted last year (not by me) into that pot right before I purchased it. Although the pot is fine for now, it will be changed maybe next year or the year after. I think with the tree developing nicely, a nicer pot will definitely be in order.

It will need to be a pot that is somewhat deep. Not necessarily for root accommodation, but because of that strong low branch. There is a subtle, cascade like quality to it. So a pot just as deep would match the tree, imo. I am open to possibilities.:D

Rob

Definitely right about the depth. You need something that is almost a semi-cascade pot. I think it will be tough to find the "perfect" pot for this tree, since it is a pretty unique design (kind of a semi-semi-cascade :))

I think the new pot needs a lip for sure. And should be very classic looking. Perhaps slightly shallower but with feet to bring it to the same height from the table as the current pot.

This is one I have which I think is close. Your tree is strong enough to stand up to a square or stubby rectangle version of this pot. Although I think round works too.

LLvzWDY.jpg

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Definitely right about the depth. You need something that is almost a semi-cascade pot. I think it will be tough to find the "perfect" pot for this tree, since it is a pretty unique design (kind of a semi-semi-cascade :))

I think the new pot needs a lip for sure. And should be very classic looking. Perhaps slightly shallower but with feet to bring it to the same height from the table as the current pot.

This is one I have which I think is close. Your tree is strong enough to stand up to a square or stubby rectangle version of this pot. Although I think round works too.

LLvzWDY.jpg

Sold!.. I'll take it.;) That is a really nice pot. When the time comes, I will see what the nursery has to offer. Hopefully, something similar to this. The pot you suggested is just masculine enough, but natural enough to accommodate a short, powerful yamadori.

Rob

amkhalid

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Sold!.. I'll take it.;) That is a really nice pot. When the time comes, I will see what the nursery has to offer. Hopefully, something similar to this. The pot you suggested is just masculine enough, but natural enough to accommodate a short, powerful yamadori.

Rob

Well, if the nursery doesn't have the right pot for you drop me a pm and we can probably work something out. I doubt I will ever find a tree that is as good match for this pot, and I would rather see it be used with such a sweet little tree. It might be too small for your tree though... but definitely close (you said tree is 8").

I got it in Japan from Aichi-en for not much money and would sell it to you for what I paid. I have it recorded as Yamaaki but I don't think that is right. The chop is faint but doesn't look like Yamaaki. Regardless of the maker, it is a nice smooth clay and is building nice patina on the lip which is where the value of the pot lies.

Keep it in mind. I'm sure in two years when you are ready to repot, this pot will still be sitting under my bench in the same place :)

AiJzrmN.jpg

pcmQo1J.jpg

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Great little tree! Very nicely done Rob! I like amkhalid's pot suggestion.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Well, if the nursery doesn't have the right pot for you drop me a pm and we can probably work something out. I doubt I will ever find a tree that is as good match for this pot, and I would rather see it be used with such a sweet little tree. It might be too small for your tree though... but definitely close (you said tree is 8").

I got it in Japan from Aichi-en for not much money and would sell it to you for what I paid. I have it recorded as Yamaaki but I don't think that is right. The chop is faint but doesn't look like Yamaaki. Regardless of the maker, it is a nice smooth clay and is building nice patina on the lip which is where the value of the pot lies.

Keep it in mind. I'm sure in two years when you are ready to repot, this pot will still be sitting under my bench in the same place :)

AiJzrmN.jpg

pcmQo1J.jpg

Thank you very much amkhalid. I will pm you down the road if if I can't find another pot I like.

Rob

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Great little tree! Very nicely done Rob! I like amkhalid's pot suggestion.

Thanks Mach5.. Seeing as how you have seen beautiful bonsai in Japan in person, I really appreciate your compliment.

Rob

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Really nice little tree (are you sure those aren't giant novelty scissors?). Is it a colorado blue spruce or some other variety?

And, is late summer/fall the best time to wire spruce? I have an engelmann that is probably ready for its first wiring, but have seen conflicting opinions on the best time.

Chris

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Really nice little tree (are you sure those aren't giant novelty scissors?). Is it a colorado blue spruce or some other variety?

And, is late summer/fall the best time to wire spruce? I have an engelmann that is probably ready for its first wiring, but have seen conflicting opinions on the best time.

Chris

lol.. Nope, the tree is about 8 inches tall. This is a sitka spruce collected from Canada. The general opinion about spruce is to do it around Fall. I gave this tree a complete styling including a good amount of pruning and a ton of wiring last July and it responded very well. This year, I waited until now to do it.

I think one of the main factors is if the tree has stopped growing. This tree stopped growing about over a month ago. For the most part, I would wait until Fall.

Rob

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hi Rob, Like the others I like the tree, nice work.
A Sitka Spruce from the great white north.....their natural distribution is out here on the west (wet) coast and you are a long way from there lol.
You mentioned that "one of the main factors is that its stopped growing".... .....that's not really correct is it?.....so I'd like to offer another view.
It may have hardened off i.e. stopped top growth but conifers this time of year will continue to grow i.e. their cells continue to grow (elongate) and roots continue to grow until the temperatures go low in late fall/early winter.
Cheers
Graham

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hi Rob, Like the others I like the tree, nice work.
A Sitka Spruce from the great white north.....their natural distribution is out here on the west (wet) coast and you are a long way from there lol.
You mentioned that "one of the main factors is that its stopped growing".... .....that's not really correct is it?.....so I'd like to offer another view.
It may have hardened off i.e. stopped top growth but conifers this time of year will continue to grow i.e. their cells continue to grow (elongate) and roots continue to grow until the temperatures go low in late fall/early winter.
Cheers
Graham

I do agree that there is subtle growth. Such as the buds are swelling very slightly. However, it has been about 1 1/2 months since there has been any foliage growth. This tree was originally collected in Canada about 10 years ago by Dan Robinson. After that, it was passed to John Kirby, who developed the material but did not style. The tree was purchased by me, last May. Upon John's advice, he advised to wait until July to style it. Which is what I did last July. There was a moderate amount of pruning and a ton of wiring done last July. The tree responded very well. As far as I know, John worked with the tree for many years. I am not sure, but it might have been for the better part of the 10 years. I figured his advice on the tree was the one I should listen to.:D

Rob

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Here is an update. The entire tree was freshly pinched today. I think the tree is starting to outgrow it's shohin status.:D

Rob

Last edited:

Fey

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow that is a beautiful tree! An inspiration for anyone.

Top Bottom