late summer white cedar thinning

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
The very first thinning and branch selection on the the Wizard Cedar--much came off. The Ogre cedar was done earlier--she has been thinned yearly for many years and is looking pretty refined for a WC.

Attachments

• Wizard WC 2015S.jpg
    Wizard WC 2015S.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 78
  • Ogre WC 2015S.jpg
    Ogre WC 2015S.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 79

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The ogre looks great. I'm still trying to figure out how much foliage to remove from my cedar.

Chris

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I really like the Ogre.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Love these two Cedars, especially the Ogre. How long ago were they collected? Also, can give any pointers on thinning and refining white Cedar? Or point me in the right direction

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
The Wizard was collected 2014--grew exceptionally strongly since day 1. Summer of 14 it got lots of fert and a light trim. Roots are everywhere in the substrate. 2015 got lots of fert all season. I cut off 40-50% of foliage in one sitting just the other day. It is planted in 1 part chopped fresh spag and some bark/3 parts #3 Perlite/2 parts pumice. The Ogre was collected long time ago as an after thought. It had fallen down from higher on a cliff that descended into a river and had landed on a ledge near the water and was destined to be washed away. Since then flooding scoured the area covering it with 14 feet of high velocity water one spring. Refining cedars is a conundrum that has been covered--they tend to be coarse--bigger trees are better. My experience is to make them happy and grow them strongly then use cutting and repotting to refine later. Wiring is necessary--but a transient pain. Periodic scissor pruning is required.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Crust, great info and really helpful link. Looks like the wizard has a bright future under your care.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I love them both! You do great work. Unfortunately, they would make it one year in Florida or I'd give them a try.

Top Bottom