Late winter cuttings

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Buds started swelling here in northeast

Maples ginko bald cypress sweetgum elm I think or zelcova (sp?) Prepped up. Hoping for a handful of these to root. Looks like a small sweetgum sapling from last year made it thru winter outside as well as some nice field maples - another 3 weeks before I get serious but I sowed early veggies inside as well

Watered twice in winter outside so far lol

20210228_111006.jpg
20210228_114401_HDR~2.jpg20210227_185709_HDR.jpg

Balbs

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Good luck! I tried a few late winter Ginkgo cuttings last year but none rooted. Not sure what I did wrong. Looking forward to seeing if you have some success!

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good luck! I tried a few late winter Ginkgo cuttings last year but none rooted. Not sure what I did wrong. Looking forward to seeing if you have some success!
There are a lot of hardwood cuttings easier than ginkgo. Almost nothing easier than crepe myrtle.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I used rooting power and a bunch of good soil to let these do there thing for a few mos and outside in nice weather within a few weeks when i can.

For northeast US 🇺🇸 do people get moving w repots mid March or? Our last freeze is mid April on paper but the weather and buds are starting to break a bit. 18f tonight haha
I guess id rather be patient though just curious. I have a bunch of first repots and first stylings

Thanks

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Ginkgo cuttings can be really frustrating, they take some patience. I took cuttings in early summer of last year, none rooted immediately, but all of the ones that made it through the first few weeks are still kicking. Went through all winter now and are ready to grow again. I was close to throwing them out after not rooting by fall, but patience paid off here. Late winter cuttings I took all failed, but that was likely operator error.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
For northeast US 🇺🇸 do people get moving w repots mid March or? Our last freeze is mid April on paper but the weather and buds are starting to break a bit. 18f tonight haha
I guess id rather be patient though just curious. I have a bunch of first repots and first stylings

Thanks

Ive been doing repots on some of my hardier trees like some native maples. I keep em under cover when temps dip under freezing.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Ive been doing repots on some of my hardier trees like some native maples. I keep em under cover when temps dip under freezing.
tempted. im digging three sugar or norway up, and a lilac, 4" diameter trunks and 10" nebari soon. 2' tall. ill give it a few weeks looks like sub freezing another 5 days out on forecast at night...

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
In the PacNW we are repotting oaks, liquidamber, maples etc out here with a vengeance, with azaleas soon to follow. Yet we haven’t had a hard freeze lately. Mostly mid to low 30’s at night. So the new repots need a bit of protection.

I’d bag the cuttings, pot and all to keep them moist. Then open up the bag frequently water and bag . Works for me. Yet I also just stick them in the ground and it works as long as there are no hard freezes. However these take quite a bit longer.

cheers
DSD sends

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What species have people had success with on late winter cuttings?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I don't do well with late winter cuttings. The wood is already moving to making buds and leaves but has no roots to support the new shoots.
Autumn/Early winter cuttings do far better as the stems have a chance to callus and start making roots before they have to support new leaves in spring.
Later spring/ summer cuttings have a better strike rate as they have nutrients and hormones circulating so can develop roots quicker.

Some really easy to strike species will root any time of year but good luck with these ones, some are not all that easy.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
i let these callous for 6ish hours before planting them and im hoping for a 10% return!! 5-10 trees.

i have had success with bald cypress, kousa dogwood cuttings and maples, but not from this time of year. some say late winter early spring are a good time to take cuttings, from online research - but i dont have crazy hopes or anything for them. these are all new growth tips, from just a handful of mild spring-feeling days recently. i successfully transplant a small sweetgum sapling that made it thru (5" tall lol) the winter after (knock on wood, so close and it is badass) and i got 8 yamadori pitch pine (1' tall saplings, and 2' tallx1.5" trunk) thru the winter after a late season transplant to containers.

im laying down 200 random seeds and transplanting a bunch of container trees to the ground this year after i dig up the maples and lilac. into the ground is a Beech yamadori, wild yaupon holly, those pitch pines, maybe a purple crabapple and a bunch of cuttings hopefully to the ground and some potted up within a few mos.

busy times but im trying to stay ahead and plan and ill let people know how this batch grows. they have a lot of nice soil under them, and ill move them into sunny days before work sheltered, later this week even

also have to repot and prune about 20 trees and sow a 10x4x16" raised bed veg garden, and reefer x 3 hopefully

20210301_074111_resized.jpg
current steez

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Our first go at cuttings here over the winter- mostly fruit trees for the yard- and not as much luck as we'd like.
A few times now we've had apples and cherries bud out, then just stop and dry up. Maybe not enough root growth? Our first round our home soil mix turned out to be too dense. We just got some peat moss to try in place of our compost, so hopefully that will have better strike rates.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Highbush blueberry cuttings are recommended to be taken after leaf fall in autumn, or during winter. Put the cuttings in 50:50 bark & peat moss. They will callus then sit. In spring will put out one or two tiny leaves. Then in August or later will actually put out roots, and suddenly have a spurt of growth before autumn. Some don't really grow until the second summer. Strike rate without any rooting hormone was about 40%. which isn't bad for hobby purposes. The flats with the cuttings were kept outdoors, in the snow and ice, there was no bottom heat, no coddling of the cuttings.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
A few times now we've had apples and cherries bud out, then just stop and dry up.
This is typical of mid - late winter cuttings. They can't help but put out leaves in spring but have not had time to grow roots. Maintaining humidity can help. I get best results from cuttings taken as soon as the leaves drop then completely buried in soil so no parts dry out. Just need to remember where they are. A few times I have turned up a bundle of cuttings while planting early crops and occasionally a forest of new shoots will erupt from buried bundles that have been forgotten.
Alternatives include planting in pots and covering with plastic bags or in plastic storage tubs to maintain the humid air through winter. If you have the resources misting beds are great.

i let these callous for 6ish hours before planting them and im hoping for a 10% return!! 5-10 trees.
I don't think plants callus in 6 hours, especially if they are dormant. Callus takes time to develop - weeks or months in winter but fingers crossed you get some results.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
multi-hour callous is better than none, ive heard about it done before, give them a few hours if anything and i prob would choose not to risk drying these out for too long. thanks too, i have faith in my setup and frequency rate on similar projects, thinking i can get a few of these to go, but am not ignorant to the challenge of it. ill get cuttings from this local resource eventually, and already have with dogwood (such a variety, planted 20-50 years ago 2 mins from my house) where i walk my dog 8 miles a week.

trying to keep them moist, heres how they looked this morning

20210302_072901_resized.jpg

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Update, looking good for crimson king (let it flower or chop to redirect energy?) Some cypress in middle, ginkgo lower edge and sweetgum, not sure type of greening up cigar, elm or zelcova maybe

Got kumquat and limequats in rainwater from a few patio trees I acquired recently. Tiny sweetgum closeup, porcelain berry, purple crab
Dont mind the early season mess

Just had snow yesterday? And sun coming up soon 66*

Enjoy the weekend

20210417_073457.jpg20210417_073634.jpg20210417_073551.jpg20210417_074036.jpg20210417_074049.jpg20210417_073737.jpg20210417_073814.jpg20210417_074004.jpg
20210417_073907.jpg

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
That’s interesting that your doing Crimson King... is that Silver and Rubrum?

I’m doing Acer Freemani (amongst others) late winter cuttings.. From the most “stunted” one I’ve ever found... they go in my “steamy” “cold-frame box” in the day. And into an Sealed, misted aquarium inside at night.

Top Bottom