Latest Acquisition, ? Urban Yamadori

fore

Omono
Reaction score
I've had my eye on this for awhile lol. No idea the kind, looks and feels like a shimpaku, but brighter green. Soft to touch. Any ideas? Anyway, got a good amt of roots and pretty much cut off nothing. In pumice under mister. 6'w x 4' d and appx 8" trunk. 4th pic is a 4" cup, but the pic is off and doesn't really do a good job for comparison.

Attachments

• Juni1.jpg
    Juni1.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 156
  • Juni2.jpg
    Juni2.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 164
  • Juni3.jpg
    Juni3.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 159
  • Juni4.jpg
    Juni4.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 139

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Wow! You could build a tree house in that thing! Nice score.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I'm pretty excited for this one. Plus, I learned my mistakes from my lost yews. Right now, I just need to clean it out of dead debri and branches. On closer comparison, it's actually closer looking to a kishu with sl. longer internodes.

It could be that old gold, but per Scotts Arboretum, " Named for its bronze gold foliage, Juniperus x media ‘Old Gold’ holds its unique color through the winter months. Placed in full sun, the thin needles appear as golden yellow lace-like foliage as new growth." I don't think this properly describes this one. But I'm tired and could be wrong, I'll check it out tom. Thanks Drew.

Jason

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Any gold?

Any chance this tree has any yellow/gold on it. I'm just wondering because I once collected a Juniperus chinensis 'Old Gold' which gets progressively more "gold" and less green throughout the growing season. I've been trying to graft shimpaku on it. :confused:

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
Very nice material...I just wish you did not remove the low small branches...

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Jason, drew, I looked at it before leaving for work and you guys are right, it does have yellow at the growing tips, then green. Great to have a species, thanks guys!

Neli, I didn't do that...a car or boat trailer did that lol Plus, a good bit died from this last winter so that was cut away. No living branch but about 5 small ones around trunk so I could get in there and dig it out.
In fact, I lost two cedars that were old in my front yard, tons of yew and other bush death all around town. It's only my4th winter here, but I haven't seen one where this much landscaped trees and bushes were damaged from the cold. Pretty impressive actually.

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
I just hear about a very cold winter...sorry about that.

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
When feeding my trees I usually put the teabags on the inside of the box.

;)

Nice looking grabs. We're all hoping they thrive!

Attachments

• Juni3.jpg
    Juni3.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 36

fore

Omono
Reaction score
When feeding my trees I usually put the teabags on the inside of the box.

;)

Nice looking grabs. We're all hoping they thrive!

It's only one Dario ;) and Thanks.

Wow, that is amazing! Also, very healthy.

Rob

It's quite a find, and amazingly healthy. I went to clean it out tonight, and given it's size, there was very little dead branching. Now it's not so pretty, behind a thick shade cloth hung vertically to protect from wind and a canvas on top for sun protection, under misters. The shade cloth (70%) does a great job actually. The area stays moist from the misters longer. I expect to see new growth in 3-4wks max. The no sun/wind/misters was Randy Knight's suggestion to me btw.

Top Bottom