Latest Ilex Vomitoria score :)....(a re-post of lost thread during the conversion)

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I got another lead through Craigslist for some yaupon holly (ilex vomitoria) and got to collect them Sept. 15. Took me 3 hours to get all six. They were deceptively small looking but I found that they have massive base. I believe 5" is the smallest and depending how you measure them...some are probably as wide as 12" (multi-trunk). For reference, the fence bars are 4.5" measured center to center Turned out the owners chopped them down from 4' to 5' tall bushes 4 years ago. These are supposedly around 30 years old.

If there is a will there is a way...not sure how but I managed to fit all six in my sedan :p
P1130565.jpg

Six (6) hours of trimming and pruning later and 4 x 40 gallon trash bag full of refuse later...they are all potted. Sorry for the fuzzy pics...they were taken from 20 feet away since it has been raining the whole day today (Sept. 16).

#1 Lots of deadwood and carving opportunity :)
P1130570.jpg

#2 Front right straight branch shortened
P1130571.jpg

P1130572.jpg

#4 - 2 big branches were removed after this photo was taken (front slingshot branch and 2nd from right)
P1130573.jpg

P1130574.jpg

#6 Big straight branch (2nd from right) was removed
P1130575.jpg

***Update. All but one have lots of leaves now. The one with just tiny buds (#2) can't seem to push them out. :(

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You got plenty of work to keep you busy. I love working on this species, it is such a quick grower (but I do get some unexpected branch die-off).

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
An early Christmas for you, to be sure. Lots of good stock to work with.
I always thought "vomitoria" was an unfortunate name for this plant.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I always thought "vomitoria" was an unfortunate name for this plant.
Me too. :) Especially after learning that it is only caffeine (binging on the tea) that causes it.

We have a late bloomer!!! The shy one pushed growth the past week and looks like it will make it too! :cool:

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
From another thread but answered here...

Very impressive! Especially the first one. They don't really sell Yaupons around here. They would not make it in our climate. The ones you posted all have great potential. You know, for someone who wants to get things done fast and is trying to speed things up, all the projects you are undertaking are like a minimum of 5 years plus.;) However, there is one big thing you have going for you. All the material is very good with great potential. So it's not like you will be looking at your trees 5-10 years from now saying, what was I thinking.

Rob

Rob,

I want to do this FASTer...if I need 5 or 25 years then so be it. On these however, I promise you, they will all be in bonsai pots in less than 5 years :eek: . Right now, most were chopped much lower than shown with less branches as well (all are less than 12" high now). The first one has the least foliage because most of the trunk (probably 65%) is dead. Lots of carving opportunity on that one.

Most are looking like "cousin IT" last week...but I cleaned them up a bit yesterday (like removed 50% of the foliage and still looking like cousin it). Some raft like may need to be split or separated but not sure yet. I might try something different on those so I am leaving my options open.

I haven't taken pics recently...maybe I should. :)

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
From another thread but answered here...

Rob,

I want to do this FASTer...if I need 5 or 25 years then so be it. On these however, I promise you, they will all be in bonsai pots in less than 5 years :eek: . Right now, most were chopped much lower than shown with less branches as well (all are less than 12" high now). The first one has the least foliage because most of the trunk (probably 65%) is dead. Lots of carving opportunity on that one.

Most are looking like "cousin IT" last week...but I cleaned them up a bit yesterday (like removed 50% of the foliage and still looking like cousin it). Some raft like may need to be split or separated but not sure yet. I might try something different on those so I am leaving my options open.

I haven't taken pics recently...maybe I should. :)

They all look great. If I lived in an area that this didn't need the protection it warrants, I would love to have the first one. I think that one has the most potential.

Also, I think there might be something that is misunderstood. When I say 5 - 10 years of training, I am referring to a near completed design or an exhibition state. This is unavoidable. It has nothing to do with you, it is just a bonsai/botanical impossiblity to do before this. This is not to say that you will not have beautiful bonsai in their pots within 5 years. You absolutely could. However, If you collect and then repot 2 years laters. that is already 2 years in. Then, there is a chance that the first bonsai pot, might not be the one you end up with, due to size of the root ball or looks. So another repotting a couple years later would be 4 years already. Next branch development. All these trees don't even have their main branches. After the main branches grow, about 3-4 years, then the secondray branches grow another 2-3 years, then tiertiary branches. Then wiring everything. After your branches have grown, it will take one or two years to get them to set.

You will see in the next few years when your trees have not finished growing their main branches yet. Basically, no matter how much you want to do or rush, it is not up to you, it is up to the tree. However, trees in training can look very good and almost like "finished" bonsai.:D

Rob

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Those type of days just make you so happy! Your trees have got some great and big trunks. Can't wait to see what they turn into.

Now that's how you build a collection :cool:

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I know about the saying that a bonsai is NEVER done so I get it.

Ilex are notorious for not wanting to be wired...either they scar easily or break so I plan on growing the branches where I want them. Wire or guy wire ASAP. It will only need a few months to set at that time.

There are tons of ways to do it differently and I do it a bit different from you. I've been through these discussions with other members and beaten the dead horse down explaining my method so I won't go through it again, no one seem to believe me anyway. We will just see where these are in a few years time. ;)

Thank you.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Those type of days just make you so happy! Your trees have got some great and big trunks. Can't wait to see what they turn into.

Now that's how you build a collection :cool:

Thanks NWB, I got lucky finding these and most of my urban collected trees/shrubs/bushes for sure. Most are 20+ years and they are free!

Recently, I'm also having luck finding few additional stocks at Lowe's too. :cool:

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I know about the saying that a bonsai is NEVER done so I get it.

There are tons of ways to do it differently and I do it a bit different from you. ...

psst.... hey, Dario... he's not disagreeing with you! :p

Really... you guys are saying practically (or exactly?) the same thing... it's just a matter of the focus of emphasis... Anyway, I sincerely look forward to seeing your yaupon holly in bonsai pots in under five years.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I collected 2 more yaupon this year (my biggest) but they are basically rafts. Here is the bottom of one after I hacked the root system down to 4" thick. It is showing buds now but not sure if it will make it due to the "brutal" treatment. My reasoning is do it now or it will never fit in any pot I will have access to.
View attachment 34760

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
You're a crazy man! I mean that in a good way. At least once a week I see a new collected tree from you. ;) How many do you have now? We need a pic of your whole yard.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You're a crazy man! I mean that in a good way. At least once a week I see a new collected tree from you. ;) How many do you have now? We need a pic of your whole yard.

You're not the first to tell me that LOL. ;) I have 136 trees plus some cuttings. :eek:

We will see...it is so cramped right now...it is not very presentable. :rolleyes: :eek:

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Way to go! In a few years down the road you'll be looking at some awesome bonsai in your yard every morning as you sip your coffee. Oh, and you'll be totally exhausted :D

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Sorry Dario, I missed this thread. "Wow", cool score. Isn't craigslist great? LOL I just missed out on collecting a huge juniper, that was a bummer as it was pretty cool. I look everyday, like you said, you can luck out and find fantastic material for free!

Those stumps have great potential! And they seem to do well in those dish buckets too ;)

Top Bottom