Latest project in progress 240g tank

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Cool nice start there. Just a couple suggestions if you are open to them. One, get rid of the under gravel filter asap. I know the guy at the store told you he used it for years but the truth is they are nothing but nitrate producers. I don't want to come across as a know it all or sound like I'm putting down the guy with the store you talked to, but from what he told you I personally question his knowledge of fish keeping to be brutally honest. I know he runs a fish store or said he takes care of the tank at Cabelas.... but to tell you the truth I have meet many a fish store owner that when it gets right down to it does not know the proper way to care of fish. Mainly because they are in the business of selling and not keeping so with the high turn over rate their fish in their stores don't spend a large amount of time in their tanks. If he told you keeping the alkalinity up will keep you from doing water changes that is something I have never heard anyone come up with in my life lol. If he does in fact take care of the tank at Cabelas then the filtration on that tank is probably a huge sandfilter same on on most public aquariums. So perhaps he knows about sandfilters, but undergravel filters are simply a very poor design. Water changes are to keep nitrates from getting to dangerous levels (from fish waste/poop, not urine) and the alkalinity of the water has zero affect on the nitrate levels. Safe levels for nitrates are normally 40ppm and below. You can get as high as 80ppm without health issues (mine get to 80ppm while I am away on vacation for 2 weeks each year) but normally once they get to 40ppm you want to do at least a 50% WC to get them back down. I personally do 75% WC's in each of my tanks weekly because of stocking levels with the exception of my 75g Jaguar tank which I do 75% every 20 days because he is the only fish in that tank so needs less WC's.

The under gravel filter...They way they work is they suck waste down under your substrate and trap it there. Over time the waste just keep raising your nitrates till you end up with constantly high nitrates and having to do water changes every few days to keep them down. . Out of the few hundred fish keepers in my cichlid club not a single one of them use under gravel filters these days. Get yourself either a good canister or a good HOB like a AC110 and you will be way better off.

The other thing I would advise is to not add anything to raise the PH, GH or KH of the water. That is a mistake a lot of new cichlid keepers make when they first get into keeping them. While cichlids in the wild in Lake Malawi, Tanganyika and the other Rift lakes are use to higher PH, KH & GB, you have to remember the fish we keep in our aquariums are tank raised and breed. Meaning they are accustomed to your local water supply parameters in your area where you live. Only exception to that are WC (Wild caught) but most fish you will buy are not going to be WC or even F1 or F2. They will have been breed multiple generations from WC and use to your local water parameters. With cichlids the more important thing to their health are consistent water parameters. When you start trying to raise the PH/KH/GH to a level the tank raised fish are not use to, then it starts fluctuation because of water changes and such then that is something they will not like and will effect them. Long as your local water supply does not have some unusually low levels then the only thing you need to add to the water is a good chlorine/chloramine water treatment every water change such as Prime.

Don't take anything I said as a slam or anything, just trying to give some solid advice based on experience is all to help you avoid fish illness down the road

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Yep, fish store owners are more often than not just trying to get you to come home with something. The guy at my lfs told me I could keep a clownfish or TWO in a 3 gallon tank.... keeping one in a 5 gallon is pushing it.

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Been busy the past month bouncing between customer backgrounds, rod orders, and trying to fit in some progress on my own 240g project. Here is where it is at today. Buffed the front panel for a 3rd time, background & stalactites all sealed and installed for good now, mounted various silk plants for some greenery, cave lighting all set up and substrate is in. Probably be all the work for a while as I have rods and other backgrounds to finish but I hope to be back on it again in a couple weeks. Satisfied with the progress for now.
dR0qpp.jpg

EWMGAN.jpg

Vfk2gA.jpg

OkvtpL.jpg

FxJk9U.jpg

qCXbvX.jpg

herzausstahl

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
That is unreal! I'd say you should build & sell them on Craigslist/eBay but would you ever be able to monetarily make up for the amount of time put into each build. Tank looks amazing, consider yourself a pro at this. Now your only other challenge would be to make it viewable from 360 & make the rock formation a central feature in the tank with pass through caves & viewable from multiple angles instead of just a back drop. Of course I have very little understanding of the creation process & if this is even feasible or not. Why I prefer my ponds lol, I get creative, trouble shoot problems & just rip it out & replace if it doesn't work or fit the vision I had for it.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looking dope Steve!

Wicked work!

Sorce

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I still have to do all the finish work on the stand and build the canopy yet, plus finish the 20g x-tall tank with the sandfall that goes in the center of the stand under this tank. So still lots to be done, but as of last night it's filled, up to temp, and fish are in and happy. Water still has to clear up a bit more, but this morning I was able to sit and have my morning coffee enjoying the fruits of over 100 plus hours of work :)

Short video of the tank running with fish in it now...

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
ZIJO51.jpg

JK09zT.jpg

Vi5bsO.jpg

dEHs4l.jpg

PzQTRH.jpg

COevln.jpg

Almost 4 months of work finally comes to an end tonight. Just finished doing all the finish work on the stand and canopy and am now I'm finally done with the 240g tank build. Was a long and tiring project with well over 200+hrs into building the background/stand/canopy and all the other little details but now I can finally sit down in front of it with a cup of coffee and enjoy my fish :)

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Been doing some work on the big tank tonight. Added some manzanita style branches which I took from a different tank I recently took down. Cut the ends flat and mounted them to the underside of the acrylic top so that they hang down into the tank to look like roots hanging down. Been up and running for about 2 months now and I added the 2nd fx5 filter about a month ago which has fully seeded now so even after almost 2 weeks nitrates barely even read 20ppm. By far my most enjoyable tank I have built. I enjoy my morning coffee in front of it just about every day.

bqzFo0.jpg

swW3Is.jpg

3PsHOG.jpg

GKOg2k.jpg

BxwKfm.jpg

herzausstahl

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
@Steve C that is amazing! I'd say you should build &'sell them but could you ever fetch a high enough price to make it worth your time unless building it for yourself or a very close friend.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Those Hap. Moorii get pretty big with a cool nauchel hump. Like the frontosa in the other tank you'll be taking those out soon enough. They get eatin size!

I see Freibergi, Venustus, and a Compressiceps. That can be a pretty mean bastard...

Last edited:

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks @herzausstahl . I've done some of the backgrounds for some fellow club members and a few customers in the past few years, but this one here in my tank for sure did take the longest time & most labor. So you're spot on, there would be no way to make it worth doing one like this unless it was a labor of love. I stopped counting after 80hrs into the background but i think I ended up somewhere around 100+ hrs into it by the time I was done.

@Smoke The dominate Comp runs the tank for sure. He has mellowed a bit since being moved from the smaller 75g tank a few months ago and now into this 240g one, which is good, but he's still the Alpha in there for sure. Oddly enough the 2nd in charge is the frontosa. Normally I would not keep a frontosa in anything other than a species specific tank, but the one in this tank is just a flat out jerk and tries to kill any other fronts that I put with it. So she actually is 2nd tank boss in this tank.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks @herzausstahl . I've done some of the backgrounds for some fellow club members and a few customers in the past few years, but this one here in my tank for sure did take the longest time & most labor. So you're spot on, there would be no way to make it worth doing one like this unless it was a labor of love. I stopped counting after 80hrs into the background but i think I ended up somewhere around 100+ hrs into it by the time I was done.

@Smoke The dominate Comp runs the tank for sure. He has mellowed a bit since being moved from the smaller 75g tank a few months ago and now into this 240g one, which is good, but he's still the Alpha in there for sure. Oddly enough the 2nd in charge is the frontosa. Normally I would not keep a frontosa in anything other than a species specific tank, but the one in this tank is just a flat out jerk and tries to kill any other fronts that I put with it. So she actually is 2nd tank boss in this tank.
I used to keep at least four African tanks all the time. Along with South american cichlids, mostly nicaraguenses. My favorite tank was a tank with only tropheus duboisi and electric yellow labidachromis. Actually got along pretty well. Great tank with cool color.

Your tank looks amazing with all the peacocks.

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Figured I'd post an update on the 240g since it has been awhile that it has been running. All if going really well. both FX5's handle the stock nicely so I can go easily 3 weeks between WC's without issue. Have added a few pieces of equipment such as powerhead and a programable wavemaker which the fish really seem to like. Added a bit to the lighting in the form of some LED spotlights to go along with the LED fixtures so the tank has a real nice shimmer water effect to it. Been picking up more predator haps and adding to the tank. Still have a few species I am on the hunt for but the current stock makes for a really active enjoyable tank that seems to all get along pretty well with each other.I also sold off the 55g with the group of trophs that were next to it and moved my 75g bleekeri, Oscar & spotted silver dollar tank next to it in the 55g's place. Club auction next weekend so we'll see what happens to follow me home from the auction ;)

frDWg1.jpg

HBQcLf.jpg

Y342aF.jpg

LIKMuT.jpg

n6IIIa.jpg

A3fWVZ.jpg

8f0Wpu.jpg

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
LOL even though I am not a fan of that movie I actually do use that quote quite often joking around with friends :)

Those are a couple old Polaroids. I've always like the look of the bellows style cameras so usually buy them for decor when I see them at garage sales.

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Steve....That background makes anything else I have ever saw seem completely amateurish. I have always felt that the fake coral reefs the "Tanked" guys use are just awful, yours is fantastic. Job well done.

Brian

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

Thought you guys might like to see a short vid of the tank after recently doing some more work on it. Added some new accent lighting today with a couple of 850lum LED spotlights which give it that nice shimmering water effect (vid doesn't show that very well). Recently added some new fish- Moorii, Taiwan reef, Pheno, Fosso, Venustus, some Ob's and a trip of Bucco's.

Top Bottom