Latest project

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Well I have not been near as active here this summer has I usually am. For one thing with losing my Sister back in the spring it really took its toll on me and I've just bee doing other things to keep myself busy. Also I have had a busy summer with orders for my small business I run so that kept me busy. Then the other thing is I have been working on another project for the past 6 weeks and all my free time has been going into that lately. Anyone that knows me knows I am not happy unless I have some sort of project going. So a couple months ago I decided to turn the upstairs level into a home theater room. The big challenge was the fact that this house was in my family for almost 50 yrs so there was 50 yrs worth of "storage" in the upper level. I literally hauled out over 175 full size bags of trash to toe street, trash guys must have loved me lol.

There was so much stuff you couldn't even walk up there, just paths like an episode of hoarders:confused: So took about 3 weeks of cleaning to get to a blank canvas. Decided to decorate it in my fav movie/Tv show theme of Game of Thrones, Lord of the Rings style decor. Also decided to do a twinkling star ceiling. Di that myself with fiber optics. Was NOT a fun job and took me about 40hrs of work, but ended up costing me about $250 to do myself as compared to $3000 for a company to do so well worth the effort.

Still not done, working on the stairs/entrance painting today and still have more do do in the actual room as well as finish the "concessions" area but it is getting there. Will share some more pics as I get more done but there are a few of the progress so far.

Started with this mess...

Lb2Fzv.jpg

After about 2+ weeks of 8hr days cleaning....

sJTUxJ.jpg

Window blacked off and Tv mount in....

YZEqoc.jpg

sw5N36.jpg

Was looking at theater seats but man are they pricey for comfortable ones. So watched FB marketplace for about 2 weeks till I found this matching pair of recliners in perfect shape for a mere $100

pRbky4.jpg

Also scored this beautiful area rug that is actually a $2000 rug new for only $60...

D6e954.jpg

This is one of 5 panels I made for the twinkling star ceiling fiber optics. This is the back side with all the fibers ran to the panel. ...

pJN0XE.jpg

Then this is the finished star ceiling with blue LED edge lighting to give it that edge of the earth atmosphere type look to it.....

Where things are currently at with the build...

bhWHho.jpg

bMg5e3.jpg

CbKukM.jpg

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Well I have not been near as active here this summer has I usually am. For one thing with losing my Sister back in the spring it really took its toll on me and I've just bee doing other things to keep myself busy. Also I have had a busy summer with orders for my small business I run so that kept me busy. Then the other thing is I have been working on another project for the past 6 weeks and all my free time has been going into that lately. Anyone that knows me knows I am not happy unless I have some sort of project going. So a couple months ago I decided to turn the upstairs level into a home theater room. The big challenge was the fact that this house was in my family for almost 50 yrs so there was 50 yrs worth of "storage" in the upper level. I literally hauled out over 175 full size bags of trash to toe street, trash guys must have loved me lol.

There was so much stuff you couldn't even walk up there, just paths like an episode of hoarders:confused: So took about 3 weeks of cleaning to get to a blank canvas. Decided to decorate it in my fav movie/Tv show theme of Game of Thrones, Lord of the Rings style decor. Also decided to do a twinkling star ceiling. Di that myself with fiber optics. Was NOT a fun job and took me about 40hrs of work, but ended up costing me about $250 to do myself as compared to $3000 for a company to do so well worth the effort.

Still not done, working on the stairs/entrance painting today and still have more do do in the actual room as well as finish the "concessions" area but it is getting there. Will share some more pics as I get more done but there are a few of the progress so far.

Started with this mess...

Lb2Fzv.jpg

After about 2+ weeks of 8hr days cleaning....

sJTUxJ.jpg

Window blacked off and Tv mount in....

YZEqoc.jpg

sw5N36.jpg

Was looking at theater seats but man are they pricey for comfortable ones. So watched FB marketplace for about 2 weeks till I found this matching pair of recliners in perfect shape for a mere $100

pRbky4.jpg

Also scored this beautiful area rug that is actually a $2000 rug new for only $60...

D6e954.jpg

This is one of 5 panels I made for the twinkling star ceiling fiber optics. This is the back side with all the fibers ran to the panel. ...

pJN0XE.jpg

Then this is the finished star ceiling with blue LED edge lighting to give it that edge of the earth atmosphere type look to it.....

Where things are currently at with the build...

bhWHho.jpg

bMg5e3.jpg

CbKukM.jpg
Very nice!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Nicely done! Even though I can't stand movies for the most part...and had our surround sound removed because it caused me to have headaches. I rarely even watch TV these days. But can appreciate what you have here. A nice place to kick up the feet for R&R.

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Spending the days bouncing back & forth between rod work during the day and working on the home theater build in the evenings. New popcorn machine arrived yesterday so just about got the "concessions" area done now. Had the first batch of popcorn from it tonight, was just like the movies only didn't cost $10 lol. Also been working on the entrance leading up to the theater room. Most the painting is done now so just need to finish up decor and framing the posters/art work. Coming along nicely now.

854uiJ.jpg

ghoKFP.jpg

PDmqHU.jpg

zQehjE.jpg

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Cool project, nicely done.

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The cables are something I will be taking care of once I get to all the detail stuff that's left still We have a Microcenter near by that sells those cable raceway things (can't think of what they are really called lol) but they are a small C channel that covers the cables. So I plan to get a couple of those and put over the cables then paint them to match the wall so they blend right into the wall that way.

Yeah I like having that compartment there for the gear to fit into as well. The neat thing about the compartment is that is backs right up the the small area that is the overhang for the roof, so that area behind it gets a lot cooler. So what I did was the cut a hole in the very back of the compartment and then mounted a dual fan laptop cooling plate to the back wall. So that way it sucks in the cooler air and blows it onto the back of the PS4/Blu ray/Surround sound receiver.

TH4srt.jpg

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm gonna say the home theater room is about 90% done now. Total of about 2 months to go from full stacked storage area with paths to move around, to this. So happy with the progress. Still have a few things left like get some covers to hide a few cables, have a few more pictures and movie posters, and a few more things to finish on the stairway but it's usable and enjoyable now. Watched my first Blue Ray movie in there last night (Wrath of the Titans) Sound system and picture quality was great, and fresh popcorn made it that much better :)

fqeQBV.jpg

E3E49Y.jpg

znZ46Y.jpg

Yl6YMN.jpg

O1BTQc.jpg

ye99UY.jpg

spkoiq.jpg

uYEC1J.jpg

Uqhskr.jpg

iS5qzk.jpg

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
O3Pync.jpg

When I die I want the term "detail oriented" used rather than OCD as OCD is too judgmental 😆😂 Can't have a home theater without a box office. Made this tonight out of a 1x4 framework, clear acrylic sheet from a poster frame, a strainer for a sink, and some curtains for a kitchen window from Walmart. Made it so the inner curtains are inside the acrylic like a real ticket window would be.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The ceiling looks so cool!! So many great ideas here... as if I didn't already have enough work to do around the house :)

Top Bottom