Lava aquarium soil.

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
This is meant for planted aquarium use but donu think it might be a good addition to pumice and clay balls for bonsai ?
Thanks

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is meant for planted aquarium use but donu think it might be a good addition to pumice and clay balls for bonsai ?
Thanks

Looks like something worth trying.
Price is decent yes?

But these "minerals" may have to be leached out before use in a pot, as the PPM in a hundred gallon fishtank is quite different from a pot.

Sorce

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Waiting on price. Indeed was worried about the additives its marketed to have but can always soak them in 0 tds water to suck out the minerals.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think you could find it for a better price with an online bonsai seller.
The link gives me $20 for 5 liters. That seems expensive to me.

American Bonsai Company sells lava for $14.50 per gallon. So the price is comparable and you already know its graded for the right size and sifted to remove the fines (youll still get some from shipping and handling but most has been removed>
You can also get mixes of different soil from them for the same or similar price.

You might even be able to find people that will ship in flat rate boxes for even cheaper. Its been a while since I have had to order soil online myself. I usually stock up at shows.

*EDIT* I just realized you are in Beriut. Perhaps a European or Chinese supplier might be easier?

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
I think you could find it for a better price with an online bonsai seller.
The link gives me $20 for 5 liters. That seems expensive to me.

American Bonsai Company sells lava for $14.50 per gallon. So the price is comparable and you already know its graded for the right size and sifted to remove the fines (youll still get some from shipping and handling but most has been removed>
You can also get mixes of different soil from them for the same or similar price.

You might even be able to find people that will ship in flat rate boxes for even cheaper. Its been a while since I have had to order soil online myself. I usually stock up at shows.

*EDIT* I just realized you are in Beriut. Perhaps a European or Chinese supplier might be easier?

Indeed been struggling to ship to Beirut. Flew with Acadama in my bags Last time.i was in US. So far managing with pumice and clay balls but really want to experiment with the typical acadama lava and pumice mix. I'm.avle to get Seamus from.dubai for around 35 usd per 3 Kg bag as well...

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is intriguing but a bit pricey. Still, I would love to get a sample of it. It might be perfect for one sort or another bonsai.
Your sorce actually looks like the best price if shipping is free. On eBay it sis $20 plus $24 shipping. I have a hexagon aquarioum I will be setting up in the next few months. Perhaps I will buy enough so that I have a bit left over to play with.

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
It is intriguing but a bit pricey. Still, I would love to get a sample of it. It might be perfect for one sort or another bonsai.
Your sorce actually looks like the best price if shipping is free. On eBay it sis $20 plus $24 shipping. I have a hexagon aquarioum I will be setting up in the next few months. Perhaps I will buy enough so that I have a bit left over to play with.
No shipping costs at all. It's in an aquarium fish store nearby. I believe they also have bigger packing 20 kg plus which would drop the price per KG. Again I'm.voncerned by the added nutrients. As we typically dont fertilize directly post repot but we can soak in water weeks before use to have it leach. Also it has to be a very slow release in aquarium or else ammonia will kill the fish. One other factor in bonsai pot is soil isnt covered with water 24/7 as in aquarium tanks so release would definitely be slower.

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Just picked up my first bucket. 5 KG as they dont have 20 KG for around 20 usd.
particle size is a tiny bit smaller than my pumice and clayballs.
would you advise trying on couple trees only and waiting couple seasons before using in all my trees or how to best assess???

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
They had 2 types a full black color one with a tiny bit larger particle and this brown one with a bit smaller particle size. Has 2 particles some dark and other a bit lighter brown. We t for this brown as it matches usual soil color more and is closer to acadama once I have enough acadama to start using on all plants 15862599516861232381046813203932.jpg15862599830253566011902833772886.jpg

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks good. I wouldn't hesitate to use it but I would try it out on a few different types of plants first.

Top Bottom