Lava question....

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Did a rock quarry run recently and they no longer are carrying 1/8 - 1/4 red lava that I use as an amendment for all my trees. So I ended up sifting the crushed lava from the dump truck tracks to get my desired size..... 2 hours for 20 gallons... for 10 bucks I shouldn't complain but... nope not again.
Anyway... when I was done and was driving out I noticed a pile 1/8 - 1/4 black lava. It’s slightly lighter in weight than the red but other than that...
Is there a difference between the two?
C59846D5-385E-45D0-BB77-E5A5EF38E21B.jpeg1A5B268D-63D3-4E72-A14F-B0D255E0B85F.jpeg

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Unlikely there will be much difference chemically - although it's possible. You should first check the pH so you know if you need to make adjustments.
If you are unsure about it's potential toxicity, grow some radish seeds in it (no fertilizer) and check the root tips after a couple of weeks. If they are white, you're good to go.

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Unlikely there will be much difference chemically - although it's possible. You should first check the pH so you know if you need to make adjustments.
If you are unsure about it's potential toxicity, grow some radish seeds in it (no fertilizer) and check the root tips after a couple of weeks. If they are white, you're good to go.
Interesting... never thought about toxicity in in-organics... was more concerned with break down.
Thanks for the tip!

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Did a rock quarry run recently and they no longer are carrying 1/8 - 1/4 red lava that I use as an amendment for all my trees. So I ended up sifting the crushed lava from the dump truck tracks to get my desired size..... 2 hours for 20 gallons... for 10 bucks I shouldn't complain but... nope not again.
Anyway... when I was done and was driving out I noticed a pile 1/8 - 1/4 black lava. It’s slightly lighter in weight than the red but other than that...
Is there a difference between the two?
View attachment 288243View attachment 288244

Almost no difference at all - I use black and red scoria interchangeably. Aesthetically, I prefer the black, but that‘s just personal preference and I use the red if that’s what I have on hand.

Scott

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I use both, got a pallet of each for the club last year. I like to mix the two to kinda give it some visual appeal. I am unaware of any different chemical properties between the two colors, the company that I bought it from mines it from the same place. In fact, the red has several different shades, from light to almost dark maroon, and the black has some pieces with a reddish tint.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I heard recently at a club meeting that the red has higher acidity than the black. Does anyone know if there's any truth to that?

Usually the difference chemically between the red and the black makes no significant difference for horticultural purposes.
BUT
It "kind of depends" on the volcano that was the source. Every volcano has slightly different chemistry. In North America, majority of the lava quarried will be from the Cascade range, or the more ancient volcanoes (last erupted more than 10,000 yrs ago) scattered along the Rocky Mountains. In North America most of the lava is "pretty similar" in composition. Rocky Mountains are NOT a volcanic chain, but there are areas with scattered now dormant volcanoes, notably in New Mexico and Arizona, maybe one or two areas in Nevada. Also Idaho has an area where lava can be quarried

I know in Hawaii, Kilauea, Mona Loa, & Mona Kea are shield volcanoes, and a little different chemically from our continental volcanoes. The commercial orchid growers I know there do make a distinction between the red and black lava. But since we never get "imported from Hawaii" lava, I never bothered to remember which was more acidic, and which was less acidic. But in Hawaii they do use the red and the black slightly differently.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So you toiled over the "ok" then found the "good" all uniform?

Life!

Sorce

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
dormant volcanoes, notably in New Mexico and Arizona
I believe they quarry sources there material locally... worth a call just to find out. But everything ya'll are saying and everything I have researched states they are basically the same. Perhaps a slight temp difference during the summer but can't imagine that would negatively impact the trees.
Thanks everyone for your input!

62veedub

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but where is the quarry you went to?

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Sorry to dig up an old thread
Since you’re in Phoenix I assume you’re talking to me? It’s in Tucson on 22nd.and Pantano. Acme Gravel... Check it out if you’re looking for amendments you can find just about everything you’ll need from pumice to lava to bark.
And I apologize… It’s not really a quarry but a yard

Top Bottom