Lavendar Star - Grewia Occidentallis

Lobaeux

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
I picked up this Lavendar Star a few weeks ago and the soils seems to be a little compacted. When watering, the water runs off to the low parts of the pot for the most part, then it eventually seeps in. I'm not sure if it's because the soil is compacted or the moss on top of the soil.

Should I repot it so soon after purchasing it, or should I wait a bit? My thought is to repot and reuse the training pot it's in. Care sheets say this plant likes plenty of watering, but doesn't like wet feet.

As far as styling, I'm not sure what to do other than a topiary cut. The branches are quite brittle and numerous, the wife loves the density of the foliage, she doesn't want me to thin it out at all. But that's all for much later down the road.

Please excuse my awful pics.

I'm not sure this plant goes here in "other", if I posted in the wrong spot, please advise.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    420.8 KB · Views: 104
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    442.8 KB · Views: 107
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    357.2 KB · Views: 105
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    287.2 KB · Views: 102

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The soil looks kinda compact / messy, but I think moss on itself doesn't block the water flow too much (or shouldn't), most likely it could use a repot, but isn't it to late for that (I see flowers)? I think you have to hang on there perhaps and carefull watering. But, I'm no pro, perhaps this species can get repotted / slippotted.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice..

Personally, I think watering in Florida could be a waste of time!
Lol....it's just so humid....from what I hear...

You Probly could repot it for aesthetics sake....

Bump for Floridians with knowledge on em.

Sorce

Lobaeux

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
Thanks guys! I'm not too sure it's too late to repot here in South Florida, there are blooms, but does it really matter?

Do most of you guys leave them in the soil you purchased them in for a while, or does that even matter?

Lobaeux

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
Just repotted my Grewia. As I suspected, the soil was extremely dry. I used a combination of about 70% lava rock, 25% organic material and 5% sand.

I removed about 10% of the roots, not really a large amount at all.

The plant appears to drain freely now, so I'll have to continuously watch it. We've got a cloudy day in store for us tomorrow, but then back to bright sun for the rest of the week.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    345.2 KB · Views: 89
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    248.7 KB · Views: 89
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    285.1 KB · Views: 93

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah I'm way over the top for a umbrella style. Here is my Grevia that I'm forcing into it. Its not easy cause they don't really grow that way....o_O It had some ugly roots, so I layered it. Long time to go still. I'm busy pulling in the main branches. Also have to straighten them some, as they are to unbelievably curved. Grevia does that. They send out branches in the backwards direction...
2016-05-13 16.56.18.jpg

Last edited:

Lobaeux

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
I've noticed that. My Grewia's branches are very brittle, and run all over the place. I want to thin some out, let some sunlight get into the interior of the plant, but my wife said she'd skin me if I messed it up.

Lobaeux

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
Just an update on my Grewia. It really is growing like a weed, here are before and after pics after I did a little cutting on it today.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    347.5 KB · Views: 71
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    320.5 KB · Views: 70

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Man that thing is aggressive. You better get some bigger holes at the bottom to cool the roots down...:D

Lobaeux

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
It is. I cut it back and it's growing crazy like.
I'm not sure what to do with it, planning on taking it to our next club meeting when we work on trees.

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah that's good. Gives you plenty of options if you have branches everywhere. Good idea to take it to the club. Get as much opinions as possible....

Lobaeux

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
I was considering pruning it back. Every branch to about 3-4 pairs of leaves. I pruned the back and it's come back very quickly.

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nothing much wrong with that I suppose. It keeps it in check and with back budding. What is very important though, is to have a clear plan for its future. With that in mind and as a direction, its much easier to prune selectively. Somes can be left as sacrifice ones etc...

Lobaeux

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
I think the pruning I'll do is just the length of branches. Don't think I'm gonna cut any branches off yet.

floribunda

Seed
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I was recently given a Grewia as a Bonsai and had trouble finding out anything about it until I stumbled onto your site. I am in South Australia. Your forum has answered most of my questions and I keep the Grewia inside during our winter and will place it outside in spring/summer. It is about to flower now. Will it get berries? This is my first Bonsai and I am looking forward to learning more about them.

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You don't have to keep it inside during winter. In fact its better to keep it outside all the time. It grows very well in the Aus climate. Yes it does get berries. Its native SAn is derived from the shape of the berry .... Cross-berry or Four corner berry. Birds love it. Man also eats it, if hungry enough :D

floribunda

Seed
Reaction score
You don't have to keep it inside during winter. In fact its better to keep it outside all the time. It grows very well in the Aus climate. Yes it does get berries. Its native SAn is derived from the shape of the berry .... Cross-berry or Four corner berry. Birds love it. Man also eats it, if hungry enough :D
Thank you. I am in the Adelaide Hills. We have very hot days in summer and very cold days in winter - so extremes! I will put it outside, and am tempted to get a plant for my garden as I am very much into attracting birds and butterflies. It sounds like a "toughie" which will be good for a Bonsai beginner like me.

Top Bottom