Lawnmower Mamed Cotoneaster

Saddler

Chumono
Reaction score
I am hoping this tree is eligible for the mame contest. I was going to wait to start a thread for this tree but I cant figure out how to send pictures in conversations here, so this is my work around.

The story behind it is my cousin ran over this (now) little guy with a sit down lawn mower last fall. How he didn't see a 30" bush that had been there all the years he lived in that house I don't know (as they say in The Simpsons "glug glug vroom vroom thunk thunk" is my only guess. He thought for sure he had killed it. It lived. This spring rolls around and I showed up just as he was finishing off the job. I pulled up just as he was popping the stump out of the ground. I thought why not, I can spare a pot and some soil on a lost cause. I will only lose five minutes of my life tying it into a pot. So I tossed the tree into a plastic bag with a splash of water and took it home.

Here it is the day I got it April 16 2017:

IMG_1795.JPG IMG_1796.JPG IMG_1797.JPG IMG_1798.JPG

Here it is May 21 2017, just five weeks later. Not looking dead yet.

IMG_2166.JPG IMG_2168.JPG IMG_2169.JPG IMG_2171.JPG

@defra Is this tree eligible for your contest?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I guess its fine since its collected this year and had no work to it besides getting it in A pot and a lawnmower haircut

@Cadillactaste
What do you think !
I agree...no work...raw stock. :cool: It's fare game...congrats and enjoy the journey! Love it's story so far...

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Good on ya! I'm definitely a "might as well" type of guy myself. I've gotten some of my best material that was whacked by a mower. One of the guys in my club jokes that my material was styled by John Deere........... big rotary mower on the back of a John Deere tractor. Ha!

That will make a killer tree. I would aim for a finished height maybe only two to three inches taller than what you have now.

Saddler

Chumono
Reaction score
Thank you! I am excited about this little guy. I am pretty sure he was run over by the lawn mower before judging by the other scars, just didn't have a blade spinning at it before. I am surprised cotoneaster are such vigorous trees. It had so little for feeder roots and still exploded with leaves.

@Joe Dupre' I have some room to play with so I think I am going to let the tree tell me its final height, but 2-3" more is likely.

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Nice save! I like the 3rd picture in the pot of the front. Although this picture is at a different vertical angle than the rest so what I see could be off.

The character is there. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it!

Top Bottom