Layering Oriental hornbeam

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Last year I got a larger oriental hornbeam. This had a number of very ugly cuts so I decided to rework the cuts and let the new tops run.

These branches have grown about 3 feet this summer and are nearing an inch at the new chop site. I am thinking about layering these sacrifice tops off instead of just tossing it.

Does anyone have experience with layering oriental hornbeams?

20200906-R14A4037.jpg20200906-R14A4038.jpg

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
These are still not very common, only in certain parts of europe really. ive never seen the Croatians layering them, just chopping off limbs and throwing away usually.
but surely you can just treat it like a Carp B in terms of layering, have you layered Carp b?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Chan sais’ hornbeam layer well.
But.. That is a normal Carpinus betulus right? Not sure whether this transfers to the other species. Guess enough reason to try!

These are still not very common, only in certain parts of europe really.
One of the reasons why I was thinking about layering. I rarely see them for sale. If, then only more valuable collected specimen from Kroatia.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have two Carpinus turczaninowii from a reputable source and they look and grow really similar to a third hornbeam I have, though of unknown genetics. The one of unknown genetics has an odd cut site in the canopy where I think the former owner was trying to resolve reverse taper.

Based on how profusely the tree can produce healthy callous tissue I say it’s a sure shot for air layering.

Top Bottom