LazyLightningNY's Azalea Contest 2020-2025 Entry

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Here is my entry for the azalea contest. It's a Rhododendron x hybrid "Stewartstonian," most likely a Kurume hybrid. Purchased at Home Depot this April. I bare rooted it, did a severe trunk chop and root reduction, and potted it up in 100% kanuma in this little pot. It measures 1 1/4" at the base by 5 1/4" at the apex. It's starting to show a couple of little buds, so I'll post more pictures when they become more evident. For aftercare, I placed it back into the sun (what little we've had lately), and watered it thoroughly daily. I just started to lightly fertilize it. In retrospect, I wish I had made the cut on the smaller trunk longer, to give myself some wiggle room, but if it doesn't work out I can always chop it off. The plan for this year is to just let it grow freely without pruning, to give it a chance to recover. Personally, when developing azalea from raw stock like this, I never wait until flowering. I chop early because my goal is developing branches and ramification before I worry about enjoying flowers. I also seal the wounds.

Best of luck to all contest entries. Looking forward to see what everyone offers up!

20200412_163913.jpg20200412_164016.jpg

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Here it is as of today. Unfortunately, nothing has yet sprouted from the twin trunk. I'll continue to leave it alone for a year or two and see if something happens. this first year, I won't prune growth at all, to let the tree regain some energy lost from bare rooting and pruning. Then, this coming late Feb/early March, I'll prune down to two leaves or leaf scars (if bottom leaves have dropped), then start ramification pruning when it leafs out in spring. I've found from past experience that pruning down to leaf scars at the bases of shoots can be iffy, so I'll probably prune to 4 or 5 leaf scars and prune back to 2 shoots when they emerge. I potted this a little off, so when I repot, I'll give it a little clockwise turn. Hope you like it!

20200705_095656.jpg

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'm seeing all these azalea entries posted, so it must be time for an update! This was taken a month or so ago when I pruned it back to begin ramification. It still hasn't budded yet, so it looks the same.

I removed that left fork that never budded.

Last edited:

Donna322

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hi there I just picked up one of these today on clearance from HD. I was thinking I should slip pot it and just let it go the rest of the season, but wondered if I should cut back all the tall leggy growth. Can I see an update on yours?

Attachments

• F47B9AD5-0029-422F-B3FE-07E4D0F5214F.jpeg
    F47B9AD5-0029-422F-B3FE-07E4D0F5214F.jpeg
    237.2 KB · Views: 2

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@bonsainut maybe this can be moved to the appropriate subforum in the 'contest' section?

@Donna322, please create a thread of your own on your own azalea.

Top Bottom