Lead on large root cutter?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Hey, does anybody have a lead on a decent quality larger root cutter?

The catch is it has to be from Amazon (although I typically don’t like purchasing from them).The thing is, I get a $90 gift card and would like a decent carbon steel root cutter. I have a couple of wazakura tools that I like, but they don’t make a large root cutter.
So I’m looking to see if anybody has a lead on one or could point me to the right thread.
Thanks!

ShimpakuBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
You can also spend the gift card on something else and buy a decent root cutter from a reputable source.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I’ve used a simple Stanley Hand Pruner. It works very well. I can cut through a root up to 3/4” thickness, although, at that thickness, I prefer to use my small keyhole medium tooth saw. A cutter for that width tends to easily separate the root bark from the soft tissue inside. A saw prevents that damage. For roots around 1/4” and below I use a rugged pair of scissors used in Vietnam for fish cleaning. It doesn’t concern me that the tool does not have a retail described title of root cutter. I’m more focused on function.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Thanks for your replies. I’m looking
To use them primarily for deadwood work.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Joshua Roth makes a large one, i have one and it’s great. I believe you can find on Amazon.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

That's Joshua Roth Giant root cutters... around $150 everywhere. another option would be American Bonsai tools, the large size Series 11 are $99, and are made out of stainless steel.

But looking at both those tools I think that you could even use a decent set of hoof nippers. Don't know if the opening would be smaller than the root cutters, but they look similar.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Look at horse farrier hoof nippers if the large bonsai pruners are too pricey.
Thanks! I have a set of those they work but they dont have the level of touch l was hoping for.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I just saw these, with a narrower tip than
My other set $15…worth a try

Attachments

• 2610C039-40B7-4E8D-A5F2-1FB6711E03AE.jpeg
    2610C039-40B7-4E8D-A5F2-1FB6711E03AE.jpeg
    77.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 3D0AC410-C1B6-48F9-91F6-1FA761CD7FED.jpeg
    3D0AC410-C1B6-48F9-91F6-1FA761CD7FED.jpeg
    80.4 KB · Views: 27

flor1

Shohin
Reaction score
Go on line you can get Farriers nippers for less then 25 bucks.

John7429

Sapling
Reaction score
Hey, does anybody have a lead on a decent quality larger root cutter?

The catch is it has to be from Amazon (although I typically don’t like purchasing from them).The thing is, I get a $90 gift card and would like a decent carbon steel root cutter. I have a couple of wazakura tools that I like, but they don’t make a large root cutter.
So I’m looking to see if anybody has a lead on one or could point me to the right thread.
Thanks!
Did you end up finding one on Amazon you liked? If so, can you share what you ended up with?

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I just saw these, with a narrower tip than
My other set $15…worth a try
Those are killer! A tool with history. I bought an old folded steel chasing hammer for like the same price at a “antique store.” I used it for chasing metal ( metal forming technique) I figure it was at a minimum 50 years old probably made by the craftsman who used it.

Top Bottom