Leaf burn decay

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This is on a Shindeshojo, It was my first year with one and it got a pretty good sunburn through one stretch of a heatwave mid-summer. So its now heading into autumn with the remaining leafs half burnt.

This isn't about leaf burn per se. As i was checking in on the trees this morning i noticed some of the leafs are starting to mildew. My question is, since its so late in the season would i be better off just losing the leaves now and go ahead and clean it up to help stop from inviting disease and insects? Or should i try to clean the leaves to try to keep them as long as possible to get as much energy as they can to the roots since it had a bad summer?

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It seems that for some species of maple mildew is a late season facto of life. My autumn moon gets it every year and I have sprayed with Daconil and peroxide to no avail. Everything I have read suggests it really does them no harm so I leave them alone. Even ththe ugh it is late in the season those leaves are still photosynthesizing and have nutrients in them that have not bee pulled back into the tree so defoliating the tree will rob it of them. If it really bugs you try spraying a dilute peroxide solution adn keep good air circulation around the tree.

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That does ease my mind. Going to work on it some after work. I might just clean them up some and just try to make them the best leaves they can be for now.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Dont defoilate until leaves start falling off naturally.

They are still working as solar panels with the mildew and burn until they plant sheds them.

Spray it with fungicide as buds push next spring and monitor watering and you should be fine.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Spray it with fungicide as buds push next spring

A first spray after leaf fall may also be of help. Sulphur (diluted lime sulphur for instance) in Autumn, and copper-based in spring, copper-based fungicides are very efficient to fight off fungal diseases, especially on maples, but it's better to use them before budbreak for the blue colour stays for weeks on mature leaves.

As for sulphur I think that it's here I read about the importance of sulphur in fertilizers : it helps the plant assimilate other components. So, it prevents the aerial part from fungus, and when gradually washed down by the rain, it's a natural help for other elements to be active.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
copper-based in spring, copper-based fungicides are very efficient to fight off fungus diseases, but it's better to use them before budbreak for the blue colour stays for weeks on mature leaves..
So that is how they do it!
I thought those blue Japanese maples on eBay were just photoshopped pix.

🤣 🤣 ;)

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I was planning on starting a new leader after leaf fall. Should i still be good for it? I dont feel like the tree was too stressed from it, it was most just from one bad week. After that it was growing fine.

A first spray after leaf fall may also be of help. Sulphur (diluted lime sulphur for instance) in Autumn, and copper-based in spring, copper-based fungicides are very efficient to fight off fungal diseases, especially on maples, but it's better to use them before budbreak for the blue colour stays for weeks on mature leaves.

As for sulphur I think that it's here I read about the importance of sulphur in fertilizers : it helps the plant assimilate other components. So, it prevents the aerial part from fungus, and when gradually washed down by the rain, it's a natural help for other elements to be active.
If i do spray it after leaf fall doing a slight prune first shouldnt hurt, right? As in the fungicide hurting a fresh wound.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
If i do spray it after leaf fall doing a slight prune first shouldnt hurt, right?

That's what I do.

When I prune and the tree is in dormancy, I use Bordeaux mix because the wounds will not heal until the sap flows again, so it's a door to various diseases if you don't.

In autumn/winter, I always leave a stub, it can be pruned later, and when it's been treated, the risks of diseases is limited because there is no downward flow, or almost none in a branch or twig with no buds. then, when in full leaf, scars heal much faster and better.

So that is how they do it!
I thought those blue Japanese maples on eBay were just photoshopped pix.

That's a very good one ! 😄 😄 😄

Top Bottom