Leaf curl. And why?

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is a small Foresteria Neomexicana group I’ve got. In training about 4 years. Ive got this odd leaf curl going on in one of branches that make up the canopy. I’ve inspected for bugs or pests and can’t find a thing. Tree is overall very healthy and I’m not terribly concerned. But wandered if anyone has seen something like this. @PiñonJ thoughts? Also pictured are leaves without curl/bulge. Thanks!!D82294FE-FABC-4C0A-B45C-32444985EC38.jpegD1182D68-B517-4BDD-9EE3-1952202CD9FF.jpegE772E941-C50A-463F-9A01-63CA599AE334.jpeg

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Cool forest! Could be shorter, though. Definitely a species I want to try. Sorry, I know little about deciduous pathogens. I would take some affected leaves to the county extension office and see what they have to say.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good idea. It’s an odd happening. I looked closer at my yard foresteria and I see the same thing here and there.

It is a bit tall. Not sure I love it in leaf either. With the species’ light gray bark I was going for an aspen grove type look. Sort of resembles that in winter. Thanks for the reply.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Fungus. Daconil weekly for the next six weeks and then about a treatment every other month all year every year. Take all the affected leaves off and destroy or in a bag tied. This is fungus that set in last year and is showing this year. Every other month will keep the trees in good shape and not allow that damn scourage to show up next year. taking off the leaves and spraying weekly should allow the new leaves to come out in good shape.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Fungus. Daconil weekly for the next six weeks and then about a treatment every other month all year every year. Take all the affected leaves off and destroy or in a bag tied. This is fungus that set in last year and is showing this year. Every other month will keep the trees in good shape and not allow that damn scourage to show up next year. taking off the leaves and spraying weekly should allow the new leaves to come out in good shape.
Wow. I’ll like into that more. Thank you. Do you happen to have a more specific name for the fungus?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow. I’ll like into that more. Thank you. Do you happen to have a more specific name for the fungus?
It could be a myriad of fungus conditions, such as but not limited to: anthracnose, leaf curl, black spot, leaf blight

Anthracnose is caused by fungi in the genus Colletotrichum.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It could be a myriad of fungus conditions, such as but not limited to: anthracnose, leaf curl, black spot, leaf blight

Anthracnose is caused by fungi in the genus Colletotrichum.
Good lookin out.

Top Bottom