Leaf Diagnosis

HallieReusch

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hey all,

Generally speaking how do benjamina leaves respond to particular environmental stressors? For example, do they show certain signs when humidity is too low or high? When they’re over or under watered? when they’re too hot or cold?

Pics always helpful.

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
In general, I find that they are not too picky about humidity, temperature, or light (all within reasonable ranges) but they can *hate* changes in their location. It's not unusual at all to move a F. benjamina indoors, or even from one room to another and experience some leaf drop. To your question: that is the most common symptom.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was just looking at my Benjamin thinking some things....glad there's somewhere to share it!

I took a couple cuttings, noticed they are starting to drop the V-shaped sheaths off the leaves. Because they are cuttings, and drying, the sheath is dry and green.

A healthy trees sheaths come clean off, yellow and soft.

Slow to fall sheaths = underwatered.
Quick to fall sheaths, usually with small leaf attached = overwatered. Roughly.

When I first started, my Ben was in a pot with no drainage, led to root rot, led to overwatering, led to little waxy drops of latex buildup on the leaf bottom, where the petiole attaches. Haven't had it since, so I can only equate it to overwater.

I personally don't think leaf drop is directly related to location changes.
It happens during location changes, but I think not understanding how to take care of the plant cause both the constant moving and the leaf drop.
If you read carefully you'll see this trend here all the time.

If you are concerned with over or underwatering.... Water like hell!

Overwatering Is a myth in itself.
A plant with drainage at all is near impossible to overwater, but you musn't fear overwatering.
Watering wet plants continually flushes out the pathogens that cause root rot.

Stagnant wet is what cause root rot.
When folks DON'T water a wet plant cuz they fear overwatering.

The answer is NEVER less water.

Lighting can be simple, cheap, bright, and on for 12-18 hours.

Once your setup is good. You're coasting.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Sorce

HallieReusch

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I took a couple cuttings, noticed they are starting to drop the V-shaped sheaths off the leaves. Because they are cuttings, and drying, the sheath is dry and green.
A healthy trees sheaths come clean off, yellow and soft.
Slow to fall sheaths = underwatered.
Quick to fall sheaths, usually with small leaf attached = overwatered. Roughly.

Regarding sheaths, excuse my ignorance but how does a sheath fall without the leaf? Is that what you’re saying?

Overwatering Is a myth in itself.
A plant with drainage at all is near impossible to overwater, but you musn't fear overwatering.
Watering wet plants continually flushes out the pathogens that cause root rot.
Stagnant wet is what cause root rot.
When folks DON'T water a wet plant cuz they fear overwatering.
The answer is NEVER less water.

Good info on watering. Some things I did not know.

Lighting can be simple, cheap, bright, and on for 12-18 hours.

I know they love light. I’ve heard from a few people now “the more the better” when it comes to light for a ficus. Is that true? I have mine under full spectrum LEDs. Is it okay for them to be pretty close? I'm talking 5-10 inches from the highest leaf.

Thank you!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
sheath fall

It's easier to tell how much your ficus is growing by how many sheaths your sweeping (or not lol), than to look at the plant itself.

One side fallen.
20200109_135716.jpg

Some attached.
20200109_135946.jpg

20200109_140024.jpg

Those were healthy. Prime healthy I mean.

These aren't unhealthy....20200109_135826.jpg

20200109_135857_HDR.jpg

But when they are at their absolute best, those sheaths fall soft and yellow, together.

These by the lights aren't drying because they are by the lights. They are drying because I have been allowing my surface to dry.

This is preventable but my situation is ignoring it for now, if the tree were more refined, it may be a problem.

My "it depends" light levels.
20200109_135618_HDR.jpg
2 double 4ft at different heights and one led on the right.

Sorce

Top Bottom