Leaf distortion help

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I’m sure someone here can nail down what’s going on with these twisted misformed leaves. My google searches have still left me unsure. Help!
9FBFD3DF-A580-44AA-8941-16A09F179660.jpegFFBC2D40-87C5-4B14-B8FD-71340090F72C.jpegFBBC6DA8-0906-4AEA-88CC-F8D9B6A810DF.jpeg
Ive noticed this on some of my other plants too. To much fert? Deficiency?
Pests?
thank you!!!!

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I get this on my Japanese maples when the summer heat starts to really ramp up. It resolved when I moved them to more shade.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The May in Maples is for....

May Eff Up.

They shoulda called em Willples.

Sorce

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
The May in Maples is for....

May Eff Up.

They shoulda called em Willples.

Sorce
Haha! Yeah. I’m seeing this in my maples but also in my willows. Also called Willpos.?

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
When one part of a leaf/twig/whatever is damaged before it stops enlarging, that edge or part dies and stops growing while the rest of it continues to grow to full size. It's like pinching a balloon before you blow it up. The part you are holding can't move with the part that is expanding with air filling it.

That's different from contorted species like Flying Dragon or Harry Lauder's Walking Stick (contorted Filbert) where one strip of the stem is growing at a different, slower rate than the rest of the stem which is a genetic fault, but causing the same outcome.

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is fungal, spray with systemic fungicide. I had it, sprayed, new growth was healthy, now its slowly spreading again so Ill spray it again.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
When one part of a leaf/twig/whatever is damaged before it stops enlarging, that edge or part dies and stops growing while the rest of it continues to grow to full size. It's like pinching a balloon before you blow it up. The part you are holding can't move with the part that is expanding with air filling it.

That's different from contorted species like Flying Dragon or Harry Lauder's Walking Stick (contorted Filbert) where one strip of the stem is growing at a different, slower rate than the rest of the stem which is a genetic fault, but causing the same outcome.
Yes. Makes sense! Psychedelic leaves. Should I be doing something to correct this.
Ive seen this come and go on my plants.
Perhaps just a symptom of heat as. @Colorado noted?

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I use Bayer 3-in-1 (Rose) Systemic liquid or granular on all non-food trees.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like normal dry-wind damage on young leaves, which then grow deformed.

I would not presume fungal, tbh

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Looks like normal dry-wind damage on young leaves, which then grow deformed.

I would not presume fungal, tbh
Thanks for this.
I may pick something up if it progresses.
Ill keep an eye on it and seeif it shapes up on its own. I feel like I’ve seen this come and go on some of my newer foliage -like you said.

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I also see these deformed leaves on several young Japanese maples on the leaves that emerge on summer extensions. It is definitely more common on the JMs that get more sun in my yard and spraying with fungicide does seem to help prevent the most severe deformations too. I’ve talked to several club members in my area that experience the same thing from mid-June to Sep.

I’m inclined to think it is primarily damage from the sun and/or wind that can sometimes allow a non-serious fungal infection to take hold in those new developing leaves. In my trees it doesn’t seem to spread to leaves that have hardened off already.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Hmmmm. Not on my maples but on a ninebark near by, I found this little guy. I guess it’s a candy cane leafhopper
Could be unrelated and just one of the many pest in my yard.
But,...I think I will be treating plants with something. 7606B5CD-A7CD-4E38-AEBB-9B6C9508CDA5.jpeg

Top Bottom