Leaf issues in Trident & Boxwood

jasonpg

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Can anyone offer advice as to what is going on with leaves and how I should treat them?

Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 85
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 78
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 78
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 70

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
The maple may just be showing the beginning of normal autumnal colors, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

The boxwood looks bad. Did it dry out hard between waterings? It looks like there may be a root problem, like it was either kept too dry, or dried out for too long once, or more than once. Or possibly it was kept too wet for too long and roots have died back so the foliage is not getting water. Mull over the possibilities, my guess the issue is one of them. It is not the right season to repot and see what the roots look like. I would adjust your watering schedule, the goal is to let the soil dry to just lightly damp, then water it thoroughly, then let dry to lightly damp. In spring you can repot.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Maybe black spot on the trident, not sure about the boxwood. I tried google searching for boxwood diseases and couldn't really find much that looks like yours, maybe leaf miners but not likely. Root issue as Leo mentioned is most probable.

jasonpg

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
The maple may just be showing the beginning of normal autumnal colors, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

The boxwood looks bad. Did it dry out hard between waterings? It looks like there may be a root problem, like it was either kept too dry, or dried out for too long once, or more than once. Or possibly it was kept too wet for too long and roots have died back so the foliage is not getting water. Mull over the possibilities, my guess the issue is one of them. It is not the right season to repot and see what the roots look like. I would adjust your watering schedule, the goal is to let the soil dry to just lightly damp, then water it thoroughly, then let dry to lightly damp. In spring you can repot.

Thank you for the feedback. The boxwood is small, and in a small pot, so water issue(s) is probably to blame. I'm new to Bonsai, so I'm trying to judge whether or not the tree needs water by leaving a chopstick in the pot. If I pull it out, and the chop stick is very wet, I don't water. If I pull it out, and it's try, I water.

Maybe there is a better method that I should be looking at?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Thank you for the feedback. The boxwood is small, and in a small pot, so water issue(s) is probably to blame. I'm new to Bonsai, so I'm trying to judge whether or not the tree needs water by leaving a chopstick in the pot. If I pull it out, and the chop stick is very wet, I don't water. If I pull it out, and it's try, I water.

Maybe there is a better method that I should be looking at?

That is a good method, though just digging your finger in, past the nail, to the first knuckle is just as good. With the chopstick method, you want to water before the chopstick is bone dry, the chopstick should be just lightly damp. The finger method is not good with small trees because you do disturb too much of the media, but with larger trees it is the best way to tell.

CHUCHIN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Boxwood may have root rot. :(

Leaf change happens but normally i understand from a friend just in the fall into a bronze color. Your color is a bit brown as oppose to bronze. Pot in a larger container water only when semi dry. Do not leave in full sun. Keep us posted.

James

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The Boxwood looks like iron chlorosis, could be from changing the soil or a PH problem with your water. Your maple seems to have black spot as well as the leaves are turning. This is a fungal infection. I would ask Al (smoke) about this but I believe it should be treated this year so next years growth is not affected.

ed

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Could be a little fungal thing on the Maple, but doesn't look bad.. Just a typical case of "leafsgonnaturnsoonidis" AKA- it's been a long hard growing season and those leaves have damage accumulation.

I agree with the diagnosis of a possible chlorosis on the boxwood. That and some under watering I suspect. Get some low N, organic ferts, feed a little now and heavier in the Spring, might want to get a good micronutrient sublime not to add... Maybe some Iron... If it got WAY too dry, the tree might not make it, but if it is just a nutritional thing, it could pull out of it by next year... If it is root rot or something more serious, well you might be looking for a new Boxwood next year! I hope that is not the case for you, but you learn something new every time you lose a tree!

Top Bottom