Leaf Problems

Carpenterb30

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So im getting some browning and leaf curling on my lace leaf mapels. I thought maybe to much sun or the heat. I live in the Florida panhandle and its been brutal here lately. These are in a mostly shaded area

Attachments

• 20200623_170013.jpg
    20200623_170013.jpg
    352.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 20200623_170005.jpg
    20200623_170005.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 36

raydomz

Shohin
Reaction score
Can you photograph the bark along that branch a little closer? Are there other portions of the trunk/branches that have a combination of green and purple bark?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Lace and cut leaf Japanese maples suffer tremendously in the heat. They are usually toast here in Va. by the end of July. That looks like sun/heat damage. Get it into shade.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Too hot or not enough water are possibilities. I water maples twice a day in summer here. Also need lo learn to water effectively. A single spray does not penetrate the root ball properly. Water all then water again for more effective water penetration.
Even with adequate water maples will still burn in heat. I guess they just cannot move enough water up the stem to protect all the leaves.

Probably more sensible to look for species that actually like your area than to waste so much time and energy trying to grow things that don't like the area.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Too hot or not enough water are possibilities. I water maples twice a day in summer here. Also need lo learn to water effectively. A single spray does not penetrate the root ball properly. Water all then water again for more effective water penetration.
Even with adequate water maples will still burn in heat. I guess they just cannot move enough water up the stem to protect all the leaves.

Probably more sensible to look for species that actually like your area than to waste so much time and energy trying to grow things that don't like the area.
I agree about searching for more suitable species. Cut leaf and thread leaf JMs are not great for bonsai, they're also not great in hot climates for the reasons you're seeing. This drying and burning on the leaves is typical. Will most likely happen every summer. There are hot climate varieties of Japanese maples, but they are few. JMs generally require more temperate climates.

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I agree about searching for more suitable species. Cut leaf and thread leaf JMs are not great for bonsai, they're also not great in hot climates for the reasons you're seeing. This drying and burning on the leaves is typical. Will most likely happen every summer. There are hot climate varieties of Japanese maples, but they are few. JMs generally require more temperate climates.
I've never seen a list of the JM's that tolerate hot climates best. That would be useful info! Do you happen to have a link or know a few varieties that fit the bill?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've never seen a list of the JM's that tolerate hot climates best. That would be useful info! Do you happen to have a link or know a few varieties that fit the bill?
There are a few places that sell heat tolerant JMs-here are a few:

A word of caution--"Heat tolerant" doesn't necessarily mean a given variety is going to work in your area. Florida is a VERY challenging location for JMs. Given species may limp through a few years, then burn out and die. I would stay away from cut leaf varieties and lean toward more "normal" leafed varieties. Also consider location. Full sun isn't going to work for you. I have issues with sunscald on my JM here in Virginia when they're kept in full sun. You also might want to consider Trident Maples. They're tougher than JMs and their leaves tend to be thicker than thin JM leaves, which gives them added protection from intense sun--although in Fla. you're always going to have issues with heat and too much sun...

Last edited:
Top Bottom