Learning Videos

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hello,

During lunch in work, Im usually at my desk eating and still in front of the PC (IT Technician, so In front of one all day).
I have been watching Bonsai videos mainly.

I wondered if people wanted to link some of their favourite videos that they found over the years or bookmarked, long or short, on any kind of tree.
I currently have Elms, Maple and Ficus but im very happy to watch and learn about any types of trees.

Share anything you like :)

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm very impressed by @William N. Valavanis. His maple bonsai grown from cutting 40+ years, 5:03 mark. Impressive trunk size. I never realized how big the trees were until I saw this video.

@markyscott shared this one that I also like.

Today I watched:
Thanks I will give this one a watch. Difficult to save them for work lunch times, when I can so easily watch right now lol.
Thank you for very much :)
They're not free, but Boon has an excellent series of DVDs.

What's cool now is you can stream them now! You can "buy" them, or "rent" them.

Www.bonsaiboon.com

Thank you for the suggestion Adair. Isn't Boon a teacher of yours? I always see you and MarkyScott talk about him often in threads.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Today I watched:
Thanks I will give this one a watch. Difficult to save them for work lunch times, when I can so easily watch right now lol.
Thank you for very much :)

Thank you for the suggestion Adair. Isn't Boon a teacher of yours? I always see you and MarkyScott talk about him often in threads.
I consider Boon to be the best teacher of bonsai in the country. He is a remarkable artist, he won several styling contests in Japan, but his passion is teaching others.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I made a resource of youtube channels and video's.

Ah I knew someone will have. Thank you, that's what I needed :).
I'm sure you've seen Graham Potters Videos....there are many on YouTube.
Great stuff.

Yeh I certainly have :), I've watched a good number but maybe not all yet.

I consider Boon to be the best teacher of bonsai in the country. He is a remarkable artist, he won several styling contests in Japan, but his passion is teaching others.

You are fortunate to have him as a teacher then, sounds great.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You have to watch them ALL....

And when you begin to laugh at some....

You know you are advancing!

Sorce
The thing is, there are a whole bunch of videos on YouTube by people who don't know what they're doing, but they think they do!

Remember that one about watering I created a thread about? That guy has produced a number of videos. New comers to bonsai don't know that guy is a hack. I've seen postings on Facebook recommending his videos!

I would recommend that beginners start with a respected teacher to begin. Someone like Bjorn, Boon, Neil, Hagedorn, Colin Lewis, Valavanis, etc. to get a solid foundation. Find someone who's style to teaching, and whose style of bonsai you like, and stick with them.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
The thing is, there are a whole bunch of videos on YouTube by people who don't know what they're doing, but they think they do!

Remember that one about watering I created a thread about? That guy has produced a number of videos. New comers to bonsai don't know that guy is a hack. I've seen postings on Facebook recommending his videos!

I would recommend that beginners start with a respected teacher to begin. Someone like Bjorn, Boon, Neil, Hagedorn, Colin Lewis, Valavanis, etc. to get a solid foundation. Find someone who's style to teaching, and whose style of bonsai you like, and stick with them.
Amen, all great!
Need a bonsai hall of fame.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Don't discount your own expertise and contributions. I've learned plenty from @Adair M !!!!!;):cool:
The stuff I share here, I've learned from the guys I mentioned. (There's more good instructors, those are just a few.)

We are very fortunate these days to have guys who have returned from Japan after spending years as apprentices.

Some off the top of my head: Danny Coffey, Peter Tea, Tyler Sherrard, Matt Reel, Juan Andrade... I'm sure there's someone I left out.

Now, I'm not saying that someone has to have studied in Japan to be competent. But the methods they use are proven. I teach classes, and I've never been to Japan. But I teach the methods that Boon teaches.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
home-monta-ramen.jpg

iOne

Sapling
Reaction score
This is exactly what I was looking for. Would you all recommend I start with Boon first? Or should I do that $40 deal with the bonsai empire?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
This is exactly what I was looking for. Would you all recommend I start with Boon first? Or should I do that $40 deal with the bonsai empire?
You really need to determine where you are in skill and knowledge levels. Where do you live? This is important as well. There is a lot of stuff out there on the Internet you can get just by goining to Youtube and watching the hundreds of videos available there.

Top Bottom