Learning with a Chip on my Shoulder.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Some say that even now, at this very moment, @Adair M is wiring away, like the Sisyphus of bonsai penance.

I only tease out of admiration @Adair M. Nice work @sorce.
Lately, I’ve mostly been un-wiring. With mature foliage, the trees are converting excess sugars into starches and wood. Trunks and branches are fattening, which is when the wire starts cutting in.

I like to remove wire just before the branches start to thicken. And then in fall, it’s wiring time again!

First come are the single flush pines, then the JBP later in the fall. I have a lot of trees needing wire this fall!

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
View attachment 203124View attachment 203125View attachment 203126View attachment 203127View attachment 203128View attachment 203129

Still needs to be unwired...
Hoping to slow growth enough to avoid bite in....SFSG!
Needs a severe cutback...ASAP...
And rewiring.

Sorce

Looking good!

How do you do your moss? I've been trying the old "grate dried moss and mix with grated sphagnum" but can't seem to get it to grow. And every time I've tried to just take moss and move it elsewhere (which is looks like you did) it just shrivels up.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How do you do your moss?

Been cutting the bottom off elsewhere moss and throwing it atop...
Just gotta keep it wet wet.

Some shrivels and doesn't make it...add more.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This one found itself a spot up on my dogpole.

20180825_071757.jpg

The wire isn't biting...the plant is healthy, so I re-moved some branches a couple weeks ago.

20180825_071809.jpg

Peep the root tips! S-U-C-C-E-S-S! Success!
20180825_071906.jpg20180825_071908.jpg20180825_072640.jpg

S

BE.REAL

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Rooting still. Good!

Loving the swooping lines here from the rock to the tree...View attachment 212518

Getting this there is going to be fun!

S
I wonder if you will or thought of adding another lower layer of rock/substrate/slab what have you. I say this as it may be cool to see the little willies(fresh roots) growing through, down and then into some other substrate, as they got aged, thicker, and weathered could make for a unique wild design. just a thought.

Big fan of rock plantings, this one included.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It’s funny that you were concerned with the vigor on this one at some point, you seem to have figured out what it likes to keep it healthy.
Smoke mentioned something about removing a branch and the the design popping, and I have the same feeling. I think it just need to be opened up and cut back a little more, maybe in sections, but some day soon the design is going to really gel. All the elements are already there.

Top Bottom