Leather Tool Roll

Discussion in 'Tools & equipment (incl lighting and greenhouses)' started by moke, Nov 4, 2017.

1. moke

moke Yamadori

I have been looking for a real leather tool roll for a while now, I have found some small rolls, but nothing quite what I have in mind. I am considering picking up some leather working tools and making one myself.
    I would sure appreciate any ideas or pics of leather tool roll's you all are using or where I can purchase one?

When a bonsai stops growing, you know it's dead.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this ad.
  3. sorce

sorce Nonsense Rascal

O Dude on the 99cent auction makes nice ones.
    I reckon.

Sorce

moke likes this.
  4. barrosinc

barrosinc Masterpiece

5. moke

moke Yamadori

You know I have to agree, the tool bag is practical. But for some reason the tool roll is spiritual.
    Feels ritualistic unrolling it. Or maybe that’s the rum speaking,
    I think I will make one, it will make it more special to me.
    I’ll through a tread up of how that works out.
    Thanks guys!

just.wing.it and sorce like this.
  6. Bonsai Nut

Bonsai Nut Administrator

I have had the same leather tool roll for over 20 years. Problem is... I have too many tools.

American Bonsai has some nice canvas ones...

You can find some good leather tool rolls among the woodworking crowd. Also do a search on Etsy... some handmade ones that won't cost you an arm and a leg... and I'll bet would take custom orders.

Major Leather Tool Roll

il_570xN.1269313808_n6kg.jpg

just.wing.it, petegreg and moke like this.
  7. moke

moke Yamadori

8. petegreg

petegreg Masterpiece

just.wing.it and moke like this.
  9. Tieball

Tieball Omono

I don’t have photos....however, I did have some old suede leather (a very deep dark green color) and used a sewing machine to stitch together a leather tool holder. The stitching is not perfect. The leather has flaws. But it looks great and works. The suede gave me the degree of leather flexibility I wanted....and was easier to sew with a leather needle. It was an inexpensive scrap, actually a good sized scrap, from a leather store that I bought for about $7 awhile ago because I was sure that someday I would need it.....hmmmmmm.....do leather stores still exist?

moke and sorce like this.
  10. NorthTXacer

NorthTXacer Yamadori

11. markyscott

markyscott Masterpiece

just.wing.it, Shima and moke like this.
  12. BigBen

BigBen Mame

I have a bunch of these (large size), and I'll be using 3 for my new Kaneshin SS.
    I purchased them along with MY tools and our initial stocking order with Kaneshin.
    http://kaneshin.shop.multilingualcart.com/goods_en_jpy_183.html

Then I'll place all of them in a carrying box something like this, only slightly larger:

https://www.amazon.com/Vaultz-Locking-Personal-Security-VZ00102-2/dp/B004Q86PNI/ref=sr_1_3?s=office-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1509889209&sr=1-3&keywords=locking+storage+box&dpID=51e-uCt6-HL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch .

I enjoy having a boat load of tools...
    You should see my car & woodworking tools. LOL...
    BB

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
    Shima likes this.
  13. Guy Vitale

Guy Vitale Shohin

I picked one up on the Facebook Auction sites made by Mark Leonberber, he makes a wide variety of them and they are very nicely constructed. You can reach out to him to see what he has available.

14. moke

moke Yamadori

I know of several Tandy leather stores in Salt Lake City, which really is surprising nowadays. I think I will go check one out this week.

15. moke

moke Yamadori

Thanks for the info, I will do that. I knew there had to be someone out there making them.
    Thanks Again

Guy Vitale likes this.
  16. Guy Vitale

Guy Vitale Shohin

Yeah, right after I bought a 7 compartment roll, Mark posted an 11 compartment roll, ugh! Still very top quality and he has a variety of sizes and colors. You won't be disappointed.

moke likes this.
  17. moke

moke Yamadori

Look at this custom beast he has posted on his Facebook page!! 68" long 12 1/2" wide 22 pocket.

[​IMG]

sorce, Soldano666 and Guy Vitale like this.
  18. Tieball

Tieball Omono

Yikes! My first thought was....imaging the cost of the tools to fill this beast.

sorce and moke like this.
  19. Tieball

Tieball Omono

Nice to hear that they are still open. Tandy Leather...I couldn’t remember the company name...that’s where I bought the leather...from their huge stack of leather reject scraps on a table....perfect for my needs. I should go back to that store again....could be another leather project in the future. Funny...scraps from the scrap leather project turned into odd shaped drink coasters.

moke likes this.
  20. MrBeto

MrBeto Mame

Mine’s not leather, but canvas, and I love it. Carhartt canvas tool roll. I bought it for $ 23 at amazon. Fits most basic tools.

sorce and moke like this.
  21. moke

moke Yamadori

I know right $$$!
    That and how much will the sucker weigh when loaded.

sorce and Tieball like this.