Leatherback growing Hazel

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Anybody ever grown hazel as bonsai?

You know, this weed, with large leaves, crude branching and shrubby growth habit?

Giving it a try, as I have to pull a shrub from my veggie-patch, a.k.a. bonsai growing field, in winter :)

1628414994891.png

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
this was originally Smithys hazel, you might remember him from europeanbonsaiforum. its a good example, hollow trunk n all😉

hazels do pop up on the UK scene. Bonsaieejit had a progression on one too

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Nooo I remember him from meeting him at TT's BURRS. I think that was him in any case. How is he? Still in Bonsai ?
on his facebook he said he was selling his trees to pursue other hobbies and will only keep about 8 trees.
in my first two years in bonsai i used to PM him quite a lot, i was inspired by his work. your hazel is on a good path

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Indeed. Although I have never seen this one bear fruit. That would actually be cool.
They do every year on mine. I’ve a windswept in training at the moment, and 2 material. One is a large trunk, other smaller. I’ve been looking forward to working them. The big one has been in a large tub for some years now, it originally died back most of its trunks and now regrown, so it’s got a load of wood on it. I’m hoping for a good base too. Mind have hazelnuts on at the moment.

Interesting tree you have, where’d you find it? I never see large trees, only small. Your trunks look nothing like hazel contorta.. like others said, looks like carpinus, how odd. I take it this is all 1 tree, connected by wood?

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
its not contorta its the normal hazel. but the one i posted is contorta. both leaves are the same. normal hazel can be found in nurseries as hedging plants.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
its not contorta its the normal hazel. but the one i posted is contorta. both leaves are the same.
I can show you a side by side tomorrow, got a long whip from the root stock growing out of my contorta. Original hazelnut next to contorted, same tree.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They do every year on mine. I’ve a windswept in training at the moment, and 2 material. One is a large trunk, other smaller. I’ve been looking forward to working them. The big one has been in a large tub for some years now, it originally died back most of its trunks and now regrown, so it’s got a load of wood on it. I’m hoping for a good base too. Mind have hazelnuts on at the moment.

Interesting tree you have, where’d you find it? I never see large trees, only small. Your trunks look nothing like hazel contorta.. like others said, looks like carpinus, how odd. I take it this is all 1 tree, connected by wood?
Indeed, regular hazel. This is the small plant that was growing in my allotment (Guess thats what you call it). Maybe 8inch base? Indeed, all connected. I have a second one, which should also go. But I do not want to dig it. The base is about 2ft across.

I wired it with lots of litte twists and curves to give the branches some character as they thicken up. There will be a lot of growing out and cutting back on this one. I really hope I do not have to carve a hollow in this 😇

Top Bottom