Leaves discoloring on quince

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
lsA1lrM.jpg

i’m assuming this is from being too optimistic about when to leave them outside overnight. I think it’s from the temp being too low for plants used to being in a warmer greenhouse over the winter (I got them from Bill V a few weeks ago).

Does that sound right to you or am I on the wrong path? My other thought is that they’re being shocked by too much direct sunlight out of the gate.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Probably the sunlight, the are frost tolerant.

I was thinking Bill V likely has a heated greenhouse, so I was wondering if the dips into the low 40s might be getting to them overnight. I think if I kept them outside all year and through next winter there'd be no problem, but I'm under the impression that greenhoused trees aren't going to be as hardy as those kept outside all year.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was thinking Bill V likely has a heated greenhouse, so I was wondering if the dips into the low 40s might be getting to them overnight. I think if I kept them outside all year and through next winter there'd be no problem, but I'm under the impression that greenhoused trees aren't going to be as hardy as those kept outside all year.
There have been studies on this but I haven't read any in decades so I can't point them out for you. In essence I agree but there are exceptions because plants, like people, vary greatly.
A child raised inside can be much more prone to sickness than a child allowed to play in the dirt (and eat a bit of dirt).

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
What I have noticed with flowering quince...........

When they get too much sun, the leaves harden and discolor lightly and then fall off at the slightest touch.
When they receive too much water the leaves will yellow and then fall off at the slightest touch.

I like the flowers on flowering quince, but to me these plants can be a bit fussy. They like their environment/care within certain parameters, once you slightly go out of those parameters they will quickly let you know by dropping leaves.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Bill mentioned the two step at 35F. So I imagine it's the sun, or wind. I wouldn't overly worry as mentioned above...they can drop leaves if you look at them sideways. But they recover.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Chinese Quince or flowering quince? Flowering quince foliage is more finicky than my Chinese. But I protect from cold winds for tender foliage not hardened off yet.

I have both, this is Chinese. What you say makes perfect sense - thanks! It could be the wind as well, we've had some breezy weather.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have both, this is Chinese. What you say makes perfect sense - thanks! It could be the wind as well, we've had some breezy weather.
I thought it appeared so. In the fall, they can do weird things with their foliage, but are less finicky. I protect like Valavanis...nothing under 35F. I actually go with 45F early spring with predictions of forecast and two step. Only because I know I will see 35F in my microclimate. I know Brian Van Fleet mentioned he protects his Chinese quince from freezing temps once the buds open. I tend to with all mine though. My tropical not out yet...I'm shuffling 26 trees. It's manageable.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I thought it appeared so. In the fall, they can do weird things with their foliage, but are less finicky. I protect like Valavanis...nothing under 35F. I actually go with 45F early spring with predictions of forecast and two step. Only because I know I will see 35F in my microclimate. I know Brian Van Fleet mentioned he protects his Chinese quince from freezing temps once the buds open. I tend to with all mine though. My tropical not out yet...I'm shuffling 26 trees. It's manageable.

That's what I thought the deal was. These have maybe been under 40 for a total of two hours, twice. So it seemed like the sun, but I had also read they like full sun...

The idea of the wind crossed my mind, and I'm aware that there's some kind of debate that seems like it's so old it's become a joke about whether or not wind chill or shadow vs sun impacts the variable of temperature, but I haven't really figured out if people sway more one way or another on the topic or what.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That's what I thought the deal was. These have maybe been under 40 for a total of two hours, twice. So it seemed like the sun, but I had also read they like full sun...

The idea of the wind crossed my mind, and I'm aware that there's some kind of debate that seems like it's so old it's become a joke about whether or not wind chill or shadow vs sun impacts the variable of temperature, but I haven't really figured out if people sway more one way or another on the topic or what.
Wind chill temps...and wind are two different can of worms. My landscape I put up wind breaks for wind protection in winter.

My sun trees go in sun. Unless they had a recent repot, then I protect them in my greenhouse a few weeks. But use grow lights. (*controlled) Then back out in the sun. Unless are pine,or tropical. My bougainvillea gets repotted once on the bench and acclimated. Also directly into full sun.

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
There's Chinese quince Pseudocydonia sinenesis, which is flowering, Chaenomeles speciosa (Chinese flowering quince) and Chaenomeles japonica (Japanese flowering quince).

In some cases I've seen common names used interchangably for all three species. Since all three are common bonsai specimins, we know which is which, but perhaps not everyone does. All three are members of Family Rosaceae, so they behave similarly.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
There's Chinese quince Pseudocydonia sinenesis, which is flowering, Chaenomeles speciosa (Chinese flowering quince) and Chaenomeles japonica (Japanese flowering quince).

In some cases I've seen common names used interchangably for all three species. Since all three are common bonsai specimins, we know which is which, but perhaps not everyone does. All three are members of Family Rosaceae, so they behave similarly.
Interesting...I think I've only heard ones compare the differences with Chinese quince Pseudocydonia sinenesis and other "quince". Not similarities. Maybe it's for the reason to help ones ID what they have. They are also notably different for sure.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Grown for their flowers, and will also set fruit.....are shrubs
Chaenomeles japonica native to Japan
Chaenomeles speciosa native to China
Chaenomeles x superba is the hybrid to the two species above

Pseudocydonia sinensis native to China grown for their fruit......are trees

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Ohhh I just noticed that I didn't specify that it was a Chinese quince. I was wondering why people were asking.

My other is a Japanese flowering quince, but that's not the one I'm asking about

I might have too many trees

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Interesting...I think I've only heard ones compare the differences with Chinese quince Pseudocydonia sinenesis and other "quince". Not similarities. Maybe it's for the reason to help ones ID what they have. They are also notably different for sure.
All species are noticably different from each other, but these three being in the same family, have noticeable similarities also.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
There have been studies on this but I haven't read any in decades so I can't point them out for you. In essence I agree but there are exceptions because plants, like people, vary greatly.
A child raised inside can be much more prone to sickness than a child allowed to play in the dirt (and eat a bit of dirt).

SOIL !...... varlet! :p

Top Bottom