Leaves dropping from my wisteria?

mister_project

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi All,
I'm very new to bonsai and apologize if this is a dumb question or it has an obvious answer. I searched the forums and other resources before coming here, but I didn't find specifically what I was looking for. I'm hoping someone here can help me before it's too late for my wisteria.

I purchased the plant locally at the beginning of last winter. I live near Seattle in zone 8b. I immediately put it into a 1 gallon bucket, as I've read that can help the root and trunk structure grow more desirably. I tried to disturb the root structure as little as possible given my timing with it. I also put fine sawdust shavings over the soil and placed it in a dish with some water in the bottom so the soil could wick moisture up as desired. I kept the water level pretty low to make sure that the roots were all above it and the plant wouldn't drown since I realize too much water is a bad thing. I put all of that into my garage, which stays around 40F-45F at night in the winter. The plant seemed to do just fine but did start budding around a month ago. I thought that was pretty early, but wasn't sure if that meant I failed to hit dormancy or if the plant was just letting me know it was ready to come out. In my experience, plants in Seattle do some odd things and bloom earlier than other locations so I didn't think about it too much.

I took the plant out of the garage and placed it on an east-facing window sill inside. I didn't put it right outside because we were still having temperatures dip into the 20's some nights outside. The wisteria was growing vigorously and has a couple tendrils which were about 24" long. By that point I was getting nervous because I've read that wisteria's should be inside as little as possible. The information I could find indicated that mature wisteria is probably cold hardy to 20F or maybe even lower. Since this is a younger plant and is in a pot, I followed the recommendation of one poster who said to wait until temps were safely above freezing until the plant has some time to mature and settle in a bit. We'd been having lows in the mid to high 30's by that point, so I figured it was safe and took the plant outside. I put it in a location that receives full sun until early afternoon and is then in the shade. Within 2 days the leaves were all starting to fade or yellow in color, and were shriveling up. The plant started dropping leaves quickly to the point where most of the leaves on the new growth and tendrils have dropped, and now the older leaves are starting to look a bit sickly as well. I have the plant inside again but am not sure what to do. It seems like taking it outside like I did will kill it quickly, but keeping it inside is ill-advised and doesn't seem to be helping either.

I'm confused that I had a healthy, voracious grower that is now looking as if it might be headed in the completely opposite direction after just a couple of days. Does anybody have ideas or know what I'm doing wrong? I appreciate any help you can give.

So as soon as the lows

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It would help if you posted a picture. Is it still in a dish of water? I'd remove that for sure. I think it's just getting used to its new environment.

Wisteria are famously tough. The only way that I have managed to kill one is pruning off too many roots at the wrong time. And even the ones I killed attempted valiant comebacks.

So I would leave yours outside (not in the dish of water) and just be patient. It's still pretty early. Also, what species is it? My American wisteria still hasn't leafed out even though I'm in zone 10.

(And by the way, Wisteria can live indoors indefinitely by a bright window. They do NOT NEED cold weather for dormancy. I had one in my office at work for years that would go dormant every winter despite the office temperature never going below 70. I only removed it because it got too large, and having a large deciduous tree indoors makes a terrible mess in the fall.)

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It does sound like the cold temps got it. Hopefully it will recover for you. I wouldn't expose it to any more cold though, if it were growing fine where it was, I'd put it back for now. I think once you get it outside for summer if it grows again for you, it will be fine to keep it in a saucer of water during the warmer weather, many people do that for wisteria, (I used a bird bath) as they are super thirsty when growing. Good luck to you.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Delayed shock is a real thing. The plant wasn't aware that it changed environment, until it started growing.

They can grow three flushes a year before dying. So you have two more to go. Putting it in water and adding saw dust seems like a bad idea though.

Wisteria are tough, but if they start rotting they keep rotting.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Wisteria do love water. I would only put it in a dish of water during the heat of summer, when temperatures are consistently over 85 F and the pot is drying out in less than one day. If the pot is not drying out in less than one day. no dish of water is needed.

mister_project

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks for your replied everyone. I really appreciate your thoughts and help. I made some changes based on your input and am hoping it will help. So far over the course of 2 days there is some new growth and most of the dropping appears to be from leaves that were already on their way out. The leaves do have some mottling and discoloration though, so I hope that does indicate anything too sinister. I've included some photos this time as well.

I removed all the sawdust and there's just straight bonsai soil there now. The bowl I've planted the tree in does have holes in the bottom and drains off. I do visually check the soil a couple of times daily for water. The water meter is in there now just to help me train myself for what moist/dry soil looks like and when the plant is happy. I know a lot of people don't advocate using those by themselves, but I've found this one quite accurate so far at least on paper. I've also removed the pan of water at the bottom, so the tree is not constantly soaking. Lastly, I've been putting the tree outside during the day and keeping it back in my garage at night. This seemed like the best compromise between the comments I got, so I hope that is reasonable but if not please do let me know.

Overall the plant seems to be a little happier and there's some new growth. I think it may be recovering, but the coloration on the leaves does have me a bit concerned still. On that note, are wisterias particularly susceptible to sun scorch from water droplets on the leaves? We've had some rain that could have done it, but the sun hasn't been out that much and it seems a bit chilly still to be scorching leaves from water droplets.

IMG_20200402_162455.jpg
IMG_20200402_162525.jpg
IMG_20200402_162536.jpg

Top Bottom