Leaves not growing on some branches

jkg777

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I have this elm that is driving me nuts. The tree has leafed out and on some of the branches, the leaves appeared to have just stopped growing. If I look close at the branch, there are tiny leaves but they aren't growing like the other leaves have grown. The second photo shows a close up of the lower wired branch with the tiny leaves. Should I fertilize, repot, trim, leave alone???

Also what kind of soil should this be in. It's in the soil it came with from the place I bought it at. It looks like a potting mix of some type. Thanks.

20230529_094120.jpg20230529_100948.jpg

Sagebrush

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a Youpon Holly that I wired in late winter. One of the branches has done a similar thing. Think I may have overworked it as I was bending. Branch is still alive but just stopped growing.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Chinese elm can be a bit cantankerous. Occasionally entire branches just decide to die for apparent reason. Not saying that is what's happening here. That branch may just be slow or may be putting in a protest about the wiring.
It also appears to be the lowest branch on the tree. Not unusual for lower branches to stall or die when the upper parts are allowed to grow freely. The tree still believes it has a chance of being the tallest tree in the forest when upper branches are growing well and lower branches have no use on tallest tree so they just don't bother. In this case trimming all upper areas can help remind the tree that lower branches may be useful.

Bonsai can be, and are, grown in all types of soil mix provided care matches the soil type. Most growers use a more open type of soil mix in pots as it is usually more effective and safer. To change soil you really need to remove as much of the old as possible before potting in the new mix. Combining different types often causes problems. Complete repot in late spring is probably NOT the best timing though Chinese elm have a rep for coping with repot any time of year. I'd just take extra care through this summer and repot early next spring.
If the small pot causes problems with managing water or other care through summer try placing the whole pot, as is, into a larger pot of potting soil. Roots will grow out into the new soil which will give extra water and space for this season but not cause some of the issues associated with slip potting into different soil types.

jkg777

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Chinese elm can be a bit cantankerous. Occasionally entire branches just decide to die for apparent reason. Not saying that is what's happening here. That branch may just be slow or may be putting in a protest about the wiring.
It also appears to be the lowest branch on the tree. Not unusual for lower branches to stall or die when the upper parts are allowed to grow freely. The tree still believes it has a chance of being the tallest tree in the forest when upper branches are growing well and lower branches have no use on tallest tree so they just don't bother. In this case trimming all upper areas can help remind the tree that lower branches may be useful.

Bonsai can be, and are, grown in all types of soil mix provided care matches the soil type. Most growers use a more open type of soil mix in pots as it is usually more effective and safer. To change soil you really need to remove as much of the old as possible before potting in the new mix. Combining different types often causes problems. Complete repot in late spring is probably NOT the best timing though Chinese elm have a rep for coping with repot any time of year. I'd just take extra care through this summer and repot early next spring.
If the small pot causes problems with managing water or other care through summer try placing the whole pot, as is, into a larger pot of potting soil. Roots will grow out into the new soil which will give extra water and space for this season but not cause some of the issues associated with slip potting into different soil types.

Thank you for the advice. I've trimmed back some of the top growth to see what happens.

Darth Masiah

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
if you're having trouble figuring out when to water a more moister retentive substrate, try using a scale to see how much it weighs right after watering, and then take a measurement everyday. visually, the coco coir i use looks a bit wet in the shade and it drives me crazy 🙂

Top Bottom